Feb 7, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
After repeatedly trying to come back from multiple right shoulder and elbow injuries, flamethrower Joel Zumaya is calling it quits as Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish reports. Zumaya last pitched in 2010 with the Tigers. Since then, he has undergone elbow surgery three times and admirably attempted to work his way back each time. Ultimately, it was too much to ask.
Zumaya was fun to watch as he was one of the few relievers who could reliably hit 100 MPH. However, he suffered from control issues, walking 114 over 209 2/3 career innings of work. He had the potential to be one of baseball’s best relievers, but the baseball gods would not allow it.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)