Feb 7, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
After repeatedly trying to come back from multiple right shoulder and elbow injuries, flamethrower Joel Zumaya is calling it quits as Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish reports. Zumaya last pitched in 2010 with the Tigers. Since then, he has undergone elbow surgery three times and admirably attempted to work his way back each time. Ultimately, it was too much to ask.
Zumaya was fun to watch as he was one of the few relievers who could reliably hit 100 MPH. However, he suffered from control issues, walking 114 over 209 2/3 career innings of work. He had the potential to be one of baseball’s best relievers, but the baseball gods would not allow it.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)