Feb 7, 2014, 4:10 PM EDT
President Obama was in Michigan today to sign the Farm Bill. I feel like he was trolling Miguel Cabrera truthers up there when he chose to compare it to baseball’s actual best player:
The president likened the nearly $1 trillion bill to a Swiss Army Knife for its many policy implications — on agriculture, on public food programs, on the environment and beyond.
“It’s like Mike Trout — for those of you who like baseball,” he added, likening it to the multi-talented Angels outfielder who fell short in 2012′s MVP race against Tigers slugger Miguel Cabrera.
Nah, Mike Trout is way better than the Farm Bill. He’d never cut food stamps by $8 billion …
A source in the White House shot me some early drafts of his speech:
- “The Farm Bill is a lot like Joba Chamberlain: expensive, bloated and only relevant to Nebraskans”
- “The Farm Bill is a lot like Miguel Cabrera: It’s feared, will break down when you need it most, but has gaudy numbers so everyone loves it.”
- “The Farm Bill is like Derek Bell. If you don’t fully fund it, it will lead to a shutdown.”
Some additional drafts:
— The Dangerous Mabry (@DangerousMabry) February 7, 2014
— PҢЇL CФКЗ’S ЬЯДIИ (@PhilCokesBrain) February 7, 2014
We could probably do this all day.
(thanks Reid Epstein for the heads up)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 8
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 162
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 6
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (249)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (163)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)