Feb 7, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Baltimore previously signed Delmon Young to a minor-league deal and they’re similar enough as right-handed bats and defensively challenged corner outfielders/first basemen that it could end up being a competition for one bench spot.
LaPorta was the seventh overall pick in the 2007 draft out of the University of Florida and was billed as being close to MLB ready, but he’s hit just .238 with 31 homers and a .694 OPS in 291 career games. Once a top-30 prospect on Baseball America‘s list in back-to-back years, he mostly struggled at Triple-A last season as a 28-year-old.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)