Feb 7, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Baltimore previously signed Delmon Young to a minor-league deal and they’re similar enough as right-handed bats and defensively challenged corner outfielders/first basemen that it could end up being a competition for one bench spot.
LaPorta was the seventh overall pick in the 2007 draft out of the University of Florida and was billed as being close to MLB ready, but he’s hit just .238 with 31 homers and a .694 OPS in 291 career games. Once a top-30 prospect on Baseball America‘s list in back-to-back years, he mostly struggled at Triple-A last season as a 28-year-old.
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 61
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 9
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 19
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)