Feb 7, 2014, 8:10 PM EST
Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish reports that reliever Dan Wheeler has announced his retirement, ending a 13-year Major League career. Wheeler briefly pitched in 2013 with the Omaha Storm Chasers, the Triple-A affiliate of the Kansas City Royals.
Wheeler was last seen in the Majors in 2012 with the Indians. He posted an 8.76 ERA in 12 innings. He had a few solid years with the Rays from 2008-10, posting a combined 3.24 ERA in 172 1/3 innings, averaging better than three strikeouts for every one walk. He retires with a career 3.98 ERA.
- Troy Tulowitzki trade between the Rockies and Mets is “not happening” 0
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 21
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 15
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)