Feb 7, 2014, 8:10 PM EDT
Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish reports that reliever Dan Wheeler has announced his retirement, ending a 13-year Major League career. Wheeler briefly pitched in 2013 with the Omaha Storm Chasers, the Triple-A affiliate of the Kansas City Royals.
Wheeler was last seen in the Majors in 2012 with the Indians. He posted an 8.76 ERA in 12 innings. He had a few solid years with the Rays from 2008-10, posting a combined 3.24 ERA in 172 1/3 innings, averaging better than three strikeouts for every one walk. He retires with a career 3.98 ERA.
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 0
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 20
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 22
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 14
- Kris Medlen expects to have another Tommy John surgery 12
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)