Feb 7, 2014, 8:10 PM EDT
Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish reports that reliever Dan Wheeler has announced his retirement, ending a 13-year Major League career. Wheeler briefly pitched in 2013 with the Omaha Storm Chasers, the Triple-A affiliate of the Kansas City Royals.
Wheeler was last seen in the Majors in 2012 with the Indians. He posted an 8.76 ERA in 12 innings. He had a few solid years with the Rays from 2008-10, posting a combined 3.24 ERA in 172 1/3 innings, averaging better than three strikeouts for every one walk. He retires with a career 3.98 ERA.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (162)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)