Feb 7, 2014, 10:50 PM EDT
Completing the next step in his attempt to revive his Major League career, reliever Ryan Madson threw some baseballs in an open audition for about 15 teams today in Phoenix, Arizona. As ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick reports, the 33-year-old right-hander was able to get his fastball up to 93 MPH, which impressed the representatives of some teams in attendance.
It will be surprising if Madson doesn’t end up latching on with a team on a minor league deal soon. They say you can never have too much pitching, especially when it’s relatively risk-free in this case. The worst that happens is a team brings Madson into camp, he doesn’t perform or gets injured again, and they simply pay him for his time in February and March.
Madson hasn’t thrown a pitch since he retired Cardinals Yadier Molina, Daniel Descalso, and Nick Punto in order in the top of the ninth inning in Game 5 of the 2011 NLDS with the Phillies. Before his career was derailed by injuries, he had performed admirably as one of baseball’s best set-up men and briefly as a closer in 2011 when Brad Lidge couldn’t stay healthy.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)