The Red Sox go back to red lettering on the road uniforms

Feb 7, 2014, 11:46 AM EDT

I personally like the blue-on-gray road uniforms the Red Sox have worn for the past few years. They wore them from 1936-72 and again for most of the 1980s. I like them better than the red lettering on the roadies, which was first introduced in 1972, went away for a while and then came back in 1990 and lasted until 2010.

Well, red is back again:

Obviously not radical change. And, indeed, I presume that they’ll go back and forth from red to navy again many times before I die. But I happen to think the navy looks better.

1. gbrim - Feb 7, 2014 at 11:49 AM

Red Sox wearing blue lettering (even on the road) never looks right to me. Not named the Blue Sox.

• 18thstreet - Feb 7, 2014 at 12:06 PM

It’s the socks that need to be red. Red Letters would be a stupid name for a team, unlike, uh … never mind.

But I feel very strongly that the socks need to be red.

• billybawl - Feb 7, 2014 at 4:40 PM

I feel very strongly that socks need to be visible.

• 18thstreet - Feb 7, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Agreed. I saw the Salem Red Sox once last year, and only one player was wearing high socks: Garin Cecchini. And now, he’s a top prospect. Let that be a lesson to all baseball players. Wear your socks high, and good things happen.

2. railcarcowboy - Feb 7, 2014 at 12:02 PM

No one cares what you think. They need a boost in jersey sales

• gbrim - Feb 7, 2014 at 1:02 PM

And I’m sure all will sleep easier knowing what you think, sir.

3. proudlycanadian - Feb 7, 2014 at 12:07 PM

This is obviously a Red Letter Day for Red Sox fans.

4. 18thstreet - Feb 7, 2014 at 12:09 PM

I liked the navy blue letters better. Looked more old-timey.

5. anxovies - Feb 7, 2014 at 12:12 PM

No matter what the combination of colors a Red Sox jersey always looks like crap.

6. eagles512 - Feb 7, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Red is much better

7. doublezero74 - Feb 7, 2014 at 12:53 PM

I think the red letter match the world series trophy a little better. really emphasizes the highlights

8. jrocknstuff - Feb 7, 2014 at 3:16 PM

I’ve never been one for changing uni’s the year after winning it all, but then again Sox fans never believed in curses or anything……

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3235)