Feb 7, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
John Harper of the Daily News spoke to Brian McCann’s dad about his son signing with the Yankees. His dad relates this story, which he said was told to him by Hal Steinbrenner after the Yankees signed his boy:
“Mr. Steinbrenner told me the story the day we were in New York for the press conference,” Howie McCann, Brian’s father, was saying on Wednesday. “He said everyone there agreed they needed a catcher, and then Gene Michael stood up and said, ‘We want McCann because he reminds me of Thurman Munson, he has that same demeanor, that same toughness.’
Call me crazy, but I feel like an organization like the Yankees may take a few more factors into account than those things before investing $85 million into a dude. If not, well, RIP: Yankees analytics department.
Either way, I look forward to all of the Yankees fans who mocked McCann for getting in dudes’ faces last season explaining to me how that fire and intensity is an asset now.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)