Feb 7, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
John Harper of the Daily News spoke to Brian McCann’s dad about his son signing with the Yankees. His dad relates this story, which he said was told to him by Hal Steinbrenner after the Yankees signed his boy:
“Mr. Steinbrenner told me the story the day we were in New York for the press conference,” Howie McCann, Brian’s father, was saying on Wednesday. “He said everyone there agreed they needed a catcher, and then Gene Michael stood up and said, ‘We want McCann because he reminds me of Thurman Munson, he has that same demeanor, that same toughness.’
Call me crazy, but I feel like an organization like the Yankees may take a few more factors into account than those things before investing $85 million into a dude. If not, well, RIP: Yankees analytics department.
Either way, I look forward to all of the Yankees fans who mocked McCann for getting in dudes’ faces last season explaining to me how that fire and intensity is an asset now.
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 1
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 5
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 18
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 41
- Wrigley Field — the most human park in baseball — turns 100-years-old 22