Feb 8, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT
Bob Nightengale of USA Today reported Thursday that the Mariners are “cautiously optimistic” about signing free agent outfielder Nelson Cruz. Two days later, all signs point to the scenario becoming a reality:
Cruz was reportedly seeking $75 million earlier this winter, but he’ll likely have to lower his expectations with spring training right around the corner. The Mariners would have to give up a draft pick (a third-rounder) and the corresponding draft pool money in order to sign him, so it isn’t just about the contract.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)