Feb 8, 2014, 7:17 PM EST
There was some speculation earlier that the Dodgers and Paul Maholm were close to a deal, and now it’s official. ESPN’s Jim Bowden reports that the Dodgers have signed the lefty to a one-year Major League deal worth $1.5 million. Dylan Hernandez of the L.A. Times reports that Maholm can up to as much as $6.5 million with incentives. Hernandez also reports that the Dodgers placed Scott Elbert on the 60-day disabled list to create room for Maholm on the 40-man roster.
Maholm was solid for the Braves last year, so it was odd that he went unsigned for this long. However, the negotiations for Japanese starter Masahiro Tanaka slowed the market considerably, leaving prized arms like Matt Garza and Bronson Arroyo unsigned likely months longer than they otherwise would have been.
Maholm didn’t allow a run until the sixth inning of his fourth start of 2013. He also carried a 3.69 ERA through the end of June. However, he suffered a sprained left wrist shortly after the All-Star break, as well as elbow inflammation in early September, causing him to finish the season with a 4.41 ERA.
- David Ortiz and Robinson Cano give their Super Bowl XLIX predictions 6
- Zack Greinke hasn’t made decision about opt-out 8
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 20
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 42
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 106
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (106)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)
- Rosenthal proposal: make relievers face more than one batter per appearance (74)