Feb 8, 2014, 7:17 PM EDT
There was some speculation earlier that the Dodgers and Paul Maholm were close to a deal, and now it’s official. ESPN’s Jim Bowden reports that the Dodgers have signed the lefty to a one-year Major League deal worth $1.5 million. Dylan Hernandez of the L.A. Times reports that Maholm can up to as much as $6.5 million with incentives. Hernandez also reports that the Dodgers placed Scott Elbert on the 60-day disabled list to create room for Maholm on the 40-man roster.
Maholm was solid for the Braves last year, so it was odd that he went unsigned for this long. However, the negotiations for Japanese starter Masahiro Tanaka slowed the market considerably, leaving prized arms like Matt Garza and Bronson Arroyo unsigned likely months longer than they otherwise would have been.
Maholm didn’t allow a run until the sixth inning of his fourth start of 2013. He also carried a 3.69 ERA through the end of June. However, he suffered a sprained left wrist shortly after the All-Star break, as well as elbow inflammation in early September, causing him to finish the season with a 4.41 ERA.
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 11
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 16
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 51
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 73
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (217)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)