Feb 8, 2014, 11:51 AM EST
If these tweets from Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times are any indication, it looks like the Dodgers and free agent left-hander Paul Maholm have reached agreement on a contract:
The move comes less than 24 hours after Bronson Arroyo, another Dodgers target, agreed to a two-year contract with the Diamondbacks. While Maholm isn’t a big name, he’ll be useful insurance for the starting rotation. Clayton Kershaw, Zack Greinke, Hyun-jin Ryu, and Dan Haren are locked into the first four spots, but Josh Beckett is no sure thing after thoracic outlet surgery and Chad Billingsley likely won’t be ready to return from Tommy John surgery until May or June.
Maholm, 31, posted a 4.41 ERA and 105/47 K/BB ratio over 153 innings with the Braves last season.
UPDATE: Hernandez surmises that it will be a minor league deal. This has the makings of a potential bargain.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 22
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 26
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 374
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)