Johan Santana has begun throwing off a mound

Feb 8, 2014, 8:57 AM EDT

Johan Santana took an important step this week in his recovery from surgery to repair a re-tear of the anterior capsule muscle in his left shoulder. He provided the update via his Twitter account yesterday:

We heard in late December that Santana was close to making a decision on a minor league deal, but at this point he might try to throw for teams before signing anywhere. A reunion with the Twins has been mentioned as a possibility, with GM Terry Ryan recently saying that it would be a “good fit for both of us,” but he doesn’t expect Santana to be ready until midseason.

Santana had his surgery last April, so he’s about 10 months removed right now. He went 19 months between starts in the majors after his previous surgery in 2010, but he managed to pitch in minor league games after 11 months.

1. cackalackyank - Feb 8, 2014 at 10:07 AM

I still think he might have a chance at a come back. The only thing I would discount is using his previous recovery as a blue print for this one since he re-tore the capsule last time. So, in other words, I wouldn’t push it and try to pitch in any games, minor league or MLB in another month or so.

2. leylandshospicenurse - Feb 8, 2014 at 10:29 AM

I would use him as a reliever and stretch him out toward the end of the season

3. proudlycanadian - Feb 8, 2014 at 10:30 AM

In the meanwhile, the currently unemployed Ervin Santana must be feeling antsy.

• dirtyharry1971 - Feb 8, 2014 at 12:38 PM

God I hope the jays sign Ervin, he would join that pathetic rotation in Toronto nicely!

• proudlycanadian - Feb 8, 2014 at 12:44 PM

As you addressed me by my correct title, I have to wish you a wonderful year with your delusions. May your life of fantasy continue.

• dirtyharry1971 - Feb 8, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Every season we go thru this and what always ends up happening? The Yanks have a good season and the jays end up in the dumpster. All I know is for being a fan of a team that hasn’t done squat since 1993 you sure have a lot to say. You should be in the corner somewhere hanging your head because this year’s team will not be good and the future doesn’t look bright either

• proudlycanadian - Feb 8, 2014 at 5:41 PM

The Yankees are as full of holes as Swiss cheese.

4. roundballsquarebox24 - Feb 8, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Hello baseball fans. I am a new member here, but I have been a religious follower of this site for a very long time! I finally decided to make an account, and when I made one, I saw that they also game us a blog to go with our account, so I decided to write a post. If you are a big baseball fan, check it out! It is about how I came to love the game and the different cultures associated with the game of baseball. I don’t know if posting about my blog is against any rules, so if it is, please let me know and I am sorry. Thanks!

• karlkolchak - Feb 8, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Memo: it doesn’t seem to be against the rules, but we hate reposters.

5. nymets4ever - Feb 8, 2014 at 11:10 PM

Take it from me as a Mets fan, this guy is cooked.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4743)