Feb 8, 2014, 8:57 AM EDT
Johan Santana took an important step this week in his recovery from surgery to repair a re-tear of the anterior capsule muscle in his left shoulder. He provided the update via his Twitter account yesterday:
Just want to let you guys know that I started throwing off the mound this week, and I feel great!!! One step closer!!! Believe it!!!—
El Gocho believe it! (@johansantana) February 07, 2014
We heard in late December that Santana was close to making a decision on a minor league deal, but at this point he might try to throw for teams before signing anywhere. A reunion with the Twins has been mentioned as a possibility, with GM Terry Ryan recently saying that it would be a “good fit for both of us,” but he doesn’t expect Santana to be ready until midseason.
Santana had his surgery last April, so he’s about 10 months removed right now. He went 19 months between starts in the majors after his previous surgery in 2010, but he managed to pitch in minor league games after 11 months.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 105
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8