Feb 8, 2014, 8:57 AM EDT
Johan Santana took an important step this week in his recovery from surgery to repair a re-tear of the anterior capsule muscle in his left shoulder. He provided the update via his Twitter account yesterday:
Just want to let you guys know that I started throwing off the mound this week, and I feel great!!! One step closer!!! Believe it!!!—
El Gocho believe it! (@johansantana) February 07, 2014
We heard in late December that Santana was close to making a decision on a minor league deal, but at this point he might try to throw for teams before signing anywhere. A reunion with the Twins has been mentioned as a possibility, with GM Terry Ryan recently saying that it would be a “good fit for both of us,” but he doesn’t expect Santana to be ready until midseason.
Santana had his surgery last April, so he’s about 10 months removed right now. He went 19 months between starts in the majors after his previous surgery in 2010, but he managed to pitch in minor league games after 11 months.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 8
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 214
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (214)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)