Feb 8, 2014, 11:12 AM EDT
Mets right-hander Matt Harvey is a severe long shot to throw a pitch in the majors this season, but he continues to make progress in his recovery from Tommy John surgery.
According to Dan Martin of the New York Post, Harvey said Thursday that he’s aiming to begin throwing on February 22. That’s just two weeks from today.
“They said I should be able to start throwing four months after the surgery and that’s Feb. 22, and I haven’t had any setbacks,” Harvey, who had elbow surgery in October, told The Post.“I can’t wait. Even if it’s 10 feet, I just want to pick up a ball. As if right now, I don’t see why I wouldn’t be able to do that.”
During an appearance on WFAN yesterday, Harvey said that his rehab is going “really smoothly” and that he recently resumed regular weight training. He plans to report to spring training along with the other pitchers and catchers on February 15.
Harvey continues to hint at the possibility of pitching for the Mets before the end of the season, but MetsBlog notes that GM Sandy Alderson told a group of season-ticket holders Thursday that it’s unlikely he’ll pitch for the club this year even if they are in a pennant race. The typical recovery time from Tommy John surgery is 12-15 months. Harvey had his surgery on October 22 last year.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 2
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 30
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 4
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 12
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 101
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)