Feb 8, 2014, 4:12 PM EDT
Pestano, who was arbitration-eligible for the first time this winter as a Super Two player, requested $1.4 million when arbitration figures were exchanged last month. After posting a 2.50 ERA over his first 142 appearances in the majors, the 28-year-old right-hander struggled to the tune of a 4.08 ERA in 37 games last year and walked 21 batters in 35 1/3 innings, so he didn’t have an especially strong case. Yesterday’s hearing was the first for the Indians since 1991.
Between Pestano and the Padres’ Andrew Cashner, we have already had two arbitration hearings this year in MLB. There weren’t any in 2013.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 72
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)