Feb 9, 2014, 4:32 PM EDT
A user on Reddit (subreddit r/baseball) posted this picture of Russia’s malfunctioning Olympic rings, photoshopped into a sort of diagram of the current talent makeup in the American League West:
If we tried this for the other five divisions, which organization would be the broken ring?
AL East: Blue Jays
AL Central: Twins
NL East: Marlins
NL Central: Cubs
NL West: Padres
AL Central and NL Central were tough calls. The White Sox finished last in 2013 and the Twins have elite prospects on the way in Byron Buxton, Alex Meyer, and Miguel Sano. But if we’re basing it off the current MLB roster, Chicago is in a better place. It’s a similar situation in the NL, with the Cubs boasting a group of exciting youngsters (Javier Baez, Kris Bryant) but the Brewers looking more competitive for 2014.
You can watch a replay of the Sochi Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony malfunction at this link.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 2
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 4
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)