Feb 9, 2014, 10:06 PM EST
Orioles pitchers and catchers report on Thursday; Blue Jays pitchers and catchers report on Sunday. No one knows if free agent starter Ervin Santana will have a new home by then, but Jon Morosi of FOX Sports is reporting that the O’s and Jays have had discussions with Santana’s representatives at Proformance Baseball.
Santana remains unsigned into February in part because he is tied to draft pick compensation. The Orioles would have to surrender their first round pick, 17th overall, in order to sign the right-hander. The Jays’ two first round picks (9th and 11th) are protected, so they would have to give up their second round pick (49th).
Santana, 31, was one of baseball’s most effective starters last year with the Royals, finishing the season with a 3.24 ERA in 211 innings. However, he has been Jekyll & Hyde over his career, finishing with a sub-3.50 ERA three times and with an ERA above 5.00 three times. PECOTA, the projection system created by Baseball Prospectus, sees Santana posting a 4.25 ERA in 2014.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 10
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 152
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (153)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)