Feb 9, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
Wandy Rodriguez started off strong for the Pirates, posting a 3.47 ERA through his first 11 starts of the 2013 season. He retired just one batter in his next start on June 5 against the Braves, however, and soon after went on the disabled list with a strained left forearm. He would spend the rest of the season on the DL.
There was some uncertainty about his readiness with spring training drawing near, but the 35-year-old left-hander says he’ll be ready for day one of spring training according to Rob Biertempfel of the Tribune-Review. Rodriguez has been working out at his home in the Dominican Republic.
Biertempfel notes that, because the Pirates have two early off days on April 1 and 7, they could push Rodriguez’s season debut back to April 14’s series opener in Cincinnati.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)