Feb 10, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Eli Saslow of ESPN profiles Cincinnati Reds closer Aroldis Chapman. And oh my God, are we glad he did. Because we get a glimpse of a pretty odd life. One of boredom and restlessness when he’s not playing baseball.
The scene: Champan’s extended family sits around his Florida mansion waiting for him to wake up, and they’re under strict instructions not to disturb him before he does. Finally, he does:
Finally, a few minutes before 4 p.m., the curtains lift and Chapman descends the spiral staircase to the pool deck. He wears sandals, sunglasses and a tank top obscured by heavy gold chains. He lights a Marlboro Red cigarette and flops down onto an all-weather mattress near the pool.
“Why so late like this?” Maria Caridad asks. “Why all this sleeping?”
“There’s nothing else to do,” he says.
It’s a profile that is both illuminating and rather sad. It speaks of a singular isolation of a guy who came to a country where he knew no one and now has everything he could have wanted, materially speaking. But who now seems kind of lost.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 2
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 55
- Breaking: The Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 99
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 70
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 76
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)