Grady Sizemore: “I’m healthy, I’m good to go”

Feb 10, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT

Grady Sizemore AP

Grady Sizemore, who turned down a deal with the Reds to sign a $750,000 contract with the Red Sox, arrived at spring training yesterday and sounded pretty optimistic about his health status after sitting out all of 2012 and 2013.

Sizemore hasn’t been healthy and effective since way back in 2009, but he’s still just 31 years old and can earn up to $6 million from Boston via incentives.

Here’s what he told Rob Bradford of WEEI.com:

I’m healthy. I’m good to go. There will still be some things that I’m working on this spring, just trying to get back to 100 percent. I’m not necessarily in baseball shape but I’m in good physical shape, moving around good. I’m just looking forward to playing baseball.

It’s all going to be bad early. Not bad, but it’s going to be rusty. Any offseason you come in you feel rusty, but when you haven’t played in two years and the better part of four years you’ve been injured. Timing is going to be off. It’s going to be tough. Obviously it’s going to be a big adjustment early. Just not going getting too frustrated, knowing you’re going to go through some bumps early on and that’s expected.

Sizemore is basically a $750,000 lottery ticket for the Red Sox, which is a drop in the MLB payroll bucket. Last time he played a full, healthy season he finished 10th in the MVP voting, won a Gold Glove and a Silver Slugger, and made the All-Star team. But for a sense of how long ago that was: Evan Longoria was the AL Rookie of the Year.

1. El Bravo - Feb 10, 2014 at 10:18 AM

“good to go” where? the grocery store? the pharmacy? certainly not the baseball field.

• halladaysbiceps - Feb 10, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Actually, I have more faith in Grady Sizemore making a comeback and being productive at 31 years old than the zero Micah Owings that Craig brought up earlier today who is going back to pitching after sporting a lifetime 4.86 ERA to go along with his WHIP of 1.40. They are also both the same age. My money is on Sizemore. Look up his stats.

• xsherr - Feb 10, 2014 at 12:17 PM

Micah Owings should pinch hit. Dude can hit some bombs.

• Jason @ IIATMS - Feb 10, 2014 at 10:34 AM

“to the MRI tube” wasn’t available, El Bravo?

2. Jason @ IIATMS - Feb 10, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Watch him win Comeback Player of the Year. And every other team will wonder why they didn’t sign him. Although the Reds will be most pissed.

All he needs is a beard, which I’m not sure he’s capable of.

• pastabelly - Feb 10, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Plan A for the Red Sox is for Jackie Bradley Jr to be the regular CF. I’m rooting for Jackie, but a comeback by Sizemore would be a great story too.

3. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Feb 10, 2014 at 10:24 AM

I am so conflicted…he was one of my favorite players to watch but now he will be required to have a terrible beard and get angry over every AB to fit in with his teammates. Sometimes free agency is a terrible thing.

• therooneyskilledwebster - Feb 10, 2014 at 1:19 PM

If childish temper tantrums were good enough for Paulie O when the Yanks used to win…

• bigharold - Feb 10, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Yeah but O’Neill was a “Warrior”.

Temper tantrums are only childish if you’re on a losing team.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Feb 11, 2014 at 10:41 AM

Well, sure, if we are going to go back and razz players from 20 years ago, I will counter by saying that Oil Can Boyd needed to settle down too.

The difference of course is that Paul O’Neil was one guy on that team, where it seems like the 201X Red Sox seem to have a team philosophy that any called strike is an incontestable indicator of umpire incompetence. It runs deep in the veterans and the new guys learn it quickly.

• therooneyskilledwebster - Feb 11, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Oil Can was admittedly coked out of his mind. Jete’s and Jorge were members of the head shaking club when any borderline pitch was called a strike.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Feb 11, 2014 at 2:34 PM

One current Yankee then?

• therooneyskilledwebster - Feb 11, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Did Jeter retire without my knowing ?

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Feb 11, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Apparently Posada did.

• therooneyskilledwebster - Feb 11, 2014 at 3:42 PM

You asked for one current Yank, hence Jeter. But if your generalization about the Sox is correct, how about Jacoby ? Gardner also seems to have some of that Bronx-bread hissy fit entitlement in his DNA as would Soriano.

4. nymets4ever - Feb 10, 2014 at 10:31 AM

He has an annoying face

• jcmeyer10 - Feb 10, 2014 at 10:34 AM

From Step Brothers:

Randy: [to Brennan] I don’t know what it is about your face,
      [holds up fist]
      Randy: but I just wanna deliver one of these right in your suck hole.

5. sportsfan18 - Feb 10, 2014 at 11:18 AM

While $750K is an enormous amount of money to most people, it really is nothing in the grand scheme of the Red Sox payroll.

If he gets hurt again while walking up to the plate for his first at bat of the year, it was still worth it on their part.

If he plays even semi well, they come out ahead. He doesn’t have to provide much production to eclipse $750K in the game today.

6. tysonpunchinguterus - Feb 10, 2014 at 12:16 PM

“I’m not necessarily in baseball shape but I’m in good physical shape, moving around good.”

Did Grady think that sounded encouraging when he said it? That’s something old people say. “No Li’l Rascal for me yet! I still move around good.”

7. deathmonkey41 - Feb 10, 2014 at 12:46 PM

He should go train with Big Papi in the DR- he’s sure to stay healthy then…or at least recover quicker from injuries.

8. Kevin Gillman - Feb 10, 2014 at 12:57 PM

This reminds me of 2005, the Indians brought back veteran Juan Gonzalez, to hit lighting in a bottle again, like they had in 2001. But a very young Grady Sizemore was hungry to take over. Grady was sent down to AAA, but right after that, Juan was hurt again right before the season started. The Indians called up Grady, and the rest they say is history.

Now, I am not wishing any injury on Grady, in fact I am rooting for him, but it would be a bit ironic if he does get hurt the last day od spring training, and Jackie Bradley, Jr. becomes a perrenial All-Star.

Let’s hope that doesn’t happen.

9. jayquintana - Feb 10, 2014 at 4:30 PM

This COULD turn out to be the signing of the off season. At any rate, smart move by the BoSox. Low cost/high potential reward… what’s not to like about it?

• bigharold - Feb 10, 2014 at 6:26 PM

I like Sizemore but what’s not to like about …

“Last time he played a full, healthy season he finished 10th in the MVP voting, won a Gold Glove and a Silver Slugger, and made the All-Star team.”

That’s like a Star Wars reference…

A long long time ago in a galaxy far far away…

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3774)