Jarred Cosart apologizes for using a homophobic slur on Twitter

Feb 10, 2014, 9:31 PM EDT

Cosart AP AP

Astros right-hander Jarred Cosart learned a valuable lesson today on how to handle himself on social media.

Cosart was joking around with Phillies minor league outfielder (and former teammate) Tyson Gillies on Twitter and used a homophobic slur to describe Canadian pop musician Justin Bieber. The tweet was soon deleted and he eventually issued the following apology:

According to Jose de Jesus Ortiz of the Houston Chronicle, Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow issued the following statement on Cosart’s actions:

“It’s something we take very seriously and we definitely don’t condone that type of language from our players.”

Cosart made his major league debut last season and posted a 1.95 ERA and 33/35 K/BB ratio over 10 starts. The 23-year-old should enter spring training with a rotation spot to lose.

1. nbjays - Feb 10, 2014 at 9:51 PM

I have a theory that it was called Twitter because it is a fantastic tool for detecting twits?

Guys like Cosart and Old Gator’s buddy Tweeter seem to bear this theory out.

• historiophiliac - Feb 11, 2014 at 12:09 AM

Ahem, *I* have a Twitter account.

• nbjays - Feb 11, 2014 at 7:54 AM

Yes, Historio, but you aren’t a twit (despite the HBPiD fetish). I should have said “previously undiscovered twits”. It is helping to point out the ones we didn’t know about.

• historiophiliac - Feb 11, 2014 at 2:25 PM

he he

• dirtyharry1971 - Feb 11, 2014 at 9:08 AM

If that’s the case then you, pc, and cur should have 10 accounts a piece

2. beefytrout - Feb 10, 2014 at 10:11 PM

“the tweet does not reflect who I am”

then why did you tweet it?

• stex52 - Feb 11, 2014 at 9:25 AM

Because he is a kid and he wasn’t thinking. Don’t tell me your average 16-26 year old man won’t say anything for a little attention or shock value.

His problem is that he works in a business that wants to market its product in the most non-controversial way possible and he is part of that product. Hopefully he will wise up and at least not do that sort of thing on social media.

3. nathanevan - Feb 10, 2014 at 10:43 PM

What a sad world we live in, a guy says something that rags on gay people and he gets pummeled. Al Sharpton calls corporations evil and he is a hero. I don’t give a damn what gay people do, I want everyone to live free and happy, but we are doomed as a country when a guy can’t say what he thinks, however offensive it is to someone else. The PC element in this country is winning, to the detriment of us all

• nothanksimdriving123 - Feb 10, 2014 at 11:57 PM

I favor equality of rights under the law for our gay citizens. I agree with some of what Al Sharpton has said, disagree with other things he’s said. He is not my hero. And anyone can still voice their opinions. If they say things that others find offensive, those other people also have the right to say so. The person doing the offending can then either stick to their original remarks or change them and perhaps apologize. If a manager this season does his Ben Chapman impersonation when Curtis Granderson bats, yes, a ton of bricks will come down on him. You can call that PC and say it’s awful, but most of us agree that hateful comments no longer have a place in civilized society.

• tfbuckfutter - Feb 11, 2014 at 12:02 AM

Everyone has a right to say whatever they want…. Unless what they want to say is critical of something someone else said. Makes sense…. It’s all that is keeping me from pointing out how dumb and reactionary you are.

• tfbuckfutter - Feb 11, 2014 at 12:13 AM

Actually no, I take that back.

I love the whining-about-people-whining angle.

Now do the talking point about how being intolerant of someone’s intolerance is just as bad, if not worse, than the original intolerance. It always makes me chuckle.

“I’m intolerant of something you can’t control!”
        “I’m intolerant of your attitude, which you CAN control!”
        “Hey, you being intolerant of my attitude hurts my feelings. It’s my opinion and everyone has a right to express their opinion however they want without fear of someone pointing out that it’s wrong!”

• Kevin S. - Feb 11, 2014 at 5:49 AM

I’m Kevin S., and I endorse this message.

• stex52 - Feb 11, 2014 at 9:28 AM

Anybody can say pretty much anything they want, Nathan. They just need to own up to the response. It’s not a freedom of speech issue. It’s being able to handle the criticism when they do.

I’m not sure how Al Sharpton is relevant, anyway.

• yahmule - Feb 11, 2014 at 10:03 AM

You infringe on my rights when people take away the stick I use to hit people.

• sportsdrenched - Feb 11, 2014 at 12:08 PM

I must have missed where Cosard was going to jail.

4. baseballisboring - Feb 10, 2014 at 11:25 PM

Anybody who takes offense to a “slur” on twitter is the type of person who needs more hobbies

5. doctorofsmuganomics - Feb 10, 2014 at 11:46 PM

The real story is people pay enough attention to Jarred Cosart’s twitter to make this a story

6. ltzep75 - Feb 10, 2014 at 11:46 PM

He should have followed that up with:

“What I meant to say was, and with all due respect, Justin Bieber is a wanker.”

7. yousuxxors - Feb 11, 2014 at 1:08 AM

your rights end where another persons begins

8. ndepratt - Feb 11, 2014 at 1:19 AM

Looks like we have our first student for Derek Jeter’s media relations school.

9. janessa31888 - Feb 11, 2014 at 7:19 AM

I do wish Bieber would go far, far away though. Maybe Siberia. Or Greenland. Or Antarctica.

• nbjays - Feb 11, 2014 at 8:08 AM

Believe me, Janessa, so does all of Canada.

10. cur'68 - Feb 11, 2014 at 8:28 AM

effin Bieber. All he does is cause trouble.

• stex52 - Feb 11, 2014 at 8:42 AM

I have an idea, Cur! We can create a new TV series called “The Justin Beaver” show. It’ll be about the exploits of a small, furry riparian creature who suddenly becomes a pot-smoking, stewardess-fondling, absinthe-drinking media star. People will love it.

• cur'68 - Feb 11, 2014 at 8:45 AM

He’ll be stalked by a grim Canadian Of Colour, determined to kill him, skin him and make a hat of his hide.

• stex52 - Feb 11, 2014 at 9:41 AM

And I’m rooting for the Canadian of Colour.

• historiophiliac - Feb 11, 2014 at 2:28 PM

On the plus side, he’s really soured my niece on Canadians, so it looks like we won’t be having that mistake in the family.

11. mrbiz8505 - Feb 11, 2014 at 12:27 PM

If you have an opinion…be ready to apologize

12. bh192012 - Feb 11, 2014 at 1:08 PM

It’s hard to form an opinion here since I don’t know what the guy actually said. “Homophobic slur” is a pretty broad category these days.

• stex52 - Feb 11, 2014 at 1:17 PM

I don’t know, either. But I know what I would have said in a locker room when I was in my early 20′s (Forty years ago). Probably pretty close. And I bet you can guess, too.

13. anxovies - Feb 11, 2014 at 2:19 PM

Oh please. Why don’t we just all agree to issue a blanket apology for all of the casual, harmless comments that we will make in the future that might offend some segment of the population and let life go on without the involvement of the thought police?

• dexterismyhero - Feb 11, 2014 at 2:26 PM