Feb 10, 2014, 9:56 AM EST
I don’t have any memories of Kirk Gibson the football player, but I do remember hearing friends’ dads up in Michigan in the early 80s talking about Gibson made a big mistake picking baseball over football. This was before he truly broke in as a full-timer with the Tigers and was battling some injuries. These guys all were silenced by 1984, of course, and obviously Gibson ended up making a pretty wise choice.
But as Dan Bickley of AZCentral reminds us, thinking that Gibson could’ve/should’ve gone to the NFL is not crazy talk. He spoke with Gibson about his football career and what led him to baseball instead. And old story for some, but I imagine a lot of people in their 30s and younger may not realize how good a receiver Gibson was at Michigan State. He would have been a high draft pick in 1979 if he had committed to football and probably could have made a pretty good go of it in the NFL.
At least until he was destroyed by injuries.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 80
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 143
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)