Feb 10, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
Amid the news of NFL draft prospect Michael Sam coming out, FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal asked seven MLB executives whether they would welcome an openly gay player to their organization. In contrast to SI.com article where anonymous NFL executives said Sam’s admission would cause his draft stock to fall, all seven MLB executives went on the record and said that they wouldn’t have an issue signing an openly gay player.
Below is one example of the feedback, but make sure to read Rosenthal’s entire column for more reaction around MLB:
“If the reports about his football ability and character are accurate, we would sign the baseball Michael Sam in a second and be a better organization for it,” Chicago Cubs president Theo Epstein said.
Teams are willing to sign the most talented players regardless of their sexual preference? What a concept. The first player to come out in MLB will obviously be a big deal and command plenty of attention, but here’s hoping that the issue becomes irrelevant before long. Sam’s announcement yesterday was an important step on the road to mass acceptance.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)