Feb 10, 2014, 11:30 PM EST
Amid the news of NFL draft prospect Michael Sam coming out, FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal asked seven MLB executives whether they would welcome an openly gay player to their organization. In contrast to SI.com article where anonymous NFL executives said Sam’s admission would cause his draft stock to fall, all seven MLB executives went on the record and said that they wouldn’t have an issue signing an openly gay player.
Below is one example of the feedback, but make sure to read Rosenthal’s entire column for more reaction around MLB:
“If the reports about his football ability and character are accurate, we would sign the baseball Michael Sam in a second and be a better organization for it,” Chicago Cubs president Theo Epstein said.
Teams are willing to sign the most talented players regardless of their sexual preference? What a concept. The first player to come out in MLB will obviously be a big deal and command plenty of attention, but here’s hoping that the issue becomes irrelevant before long. Sam’s announcement yesterday was an important step on the road to mass acceptance.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 25
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 26
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 374
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)