Feb 10, 2014, 11:02 AM EDT
Baseball is a business just like any other. And just like many other businesses — millions of them, in fact — baseball teams feel like the credit card companies hold them hostage by imposing fees every time a customer swipes their card. The Twins feel like Visa and Mastercard have gone too far in this regard:
The Minnesota Twins hit Visa Inc. and MasterCard Inc. with an antitrust suit in New York federal court Friday accusing the credit card companies of monopolizing the market by fixing swipe fees, less than two months after a landmark $7.25 billion settlement over similar claims.
The new suit, filed by Minnesota Twins LLC and a group of Minnesota retailers, alleges that the credit card giants colluded with banks that carried their credit cards to keep swipe fees high and to keep information about those fees from consumers. Visa and MasterCard also prevented retailers from incentivizing customers to use cards with lower fees, according to the complaint.
This sort of arrangement was recently the subject of one of the largest class action settlements in history. Now baseball teams are getting in on it too.
If they’re not successful, look for hastily-created “cash only” signs written in magic marker on torn cardboard at a ticket window near you.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)