Feb 11, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
Jaime Garcia, who underwent surgery to repair a torn shoulder labrum in May, is now “on the same schedule as the other starters” in Cardinals camp, according to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch.
Garcia is under contract for $7.75 million this season (and $9.25 million in 2015) and posted a 3.89 ERA in 29 starts during the past two years despite pitching at less than full strength for much of that time:
It was pain. It was a lot of pain. During the game. After the game. Pain every single pitch. I was still trying to find ways to get people out. My stuff was good. My mechanics were good. But it was not fun. Not fun. Not fun having to go through that.
He has a lengthy injury history, so counting on Garcia to be healthy is always a leap of faith, but getting him back to his old self would provide a nice boost to what is already a fantastic Cardinals rotation.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (223)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)