Feb 11, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
Jaime Garcia, who underwent surgery to repair a torn shoulder labrum in May, is now “on the same schedule as the other starters” in Cardinals camp, according to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch.
Garcia is under contract for $7.75 million this season (and $9.25 million in 2015) and posted a 3.89 ERA in 29 starts during the past two years despite pitching at less than full strength for much of that time:
It was pain. It was a lot of pain. During the game. After the game. Pain every single pitch. I was still trying to find ways to get people out. My stuff was good. My mechanics were good. But it was not fun. Not fun. Not fun having to go through that.
He has a lengthy injury history, so counting on Garcia to be healthy is always a leap of faith, but getting him back to his old self would provide a nice boost to what is already a fantastic Cardinals rotation.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)