Feb 11, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Jaime Garcia, who underwent surgery to repair a torn shoulder labrum in May, is now “on the same schedule as the other starters” in Cardinals camp, according to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch.
Garcia is under contract for $7.75 million this season (and $9.25 million in 2015) and posted a 3.89 ERA in 29 starts during the past two years despite pitching at less than full strength for much of that time:
It was pain. It was a lot of pain. During the game. After the game. Pain every single pitch. I was still trying to find ways to get people out. My stuff was good. My mechanics were good. But it was not fun. Not fun. Not fun having to go through that.
He has a lengthy injury history, so counting on Garcia to be healthy is always a leap of faith, but getting him back to his old self would provide a nice boost to what is already a fantastic Cardinals rotation.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 41
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 37
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 33
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)