Michael Pineda is 100 percent

Feb 11, 2014, 9:23 AM EDT

Michael Pineda AP

I forget about Michael Pineda sometimes. He made quite a splash as a rookie in 2011 and then was a part of the Jesus Montero trade which hasn’t worked out for anyone. He was supposed to be a big part of the Yankees rotation for the past couple of years but hasn’t thrown a pitch. If he’s being honest in these comments to the New York Post, however, that will change in 2014:

“I’m going to compete for the rotation,” Pineda said. “I’m the same Michael Pineda. I’m 100 percent now and my body is in good shape . . . I know I had the surgery and the injury to my shoulder, but I’m feeling stronger and the shoulder is feeling good”

This is wait and see territory, of course. Because last year about this time there were reports of him hitting the low-to-mid 90s in workouts. About him losing weight and being in great shape. And he still didn’t throw a pitch. That’s what bum shoulders do for you.

But he could certainly be X-factor for the Yankees this season if things have changed.

1. southofheaven81 - Feb 11, 2014 at 9:34 AM

I saw him pitch in Scranton last July, he looked sharp. I thought the consensus was that he was ready to go by late last summer but they kept him in AAA so they could control his contract for another year?

• dirtyharry1971 - Feb 11, 2014 at 9:40 AM

I think they kept him down to go easy on him one more year and so of protect him. But you could be right to control his contract fro another year maybe have come into play. I did see him in Scranton and he looked real good, kid has a bright future and he’s young with low miles on that arm.

• Kevin S. - Feb 12, 2014 at 7:33 AM

Did they option him to AAA? I can’t remember. If he just stayed on the major-league DL, he gets all that service time.

2. dirtyharry1971 - Feb 11, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Very much looking forward to seeing this kid throw as he is the X factor no doubt. The really great thing is if he makes the rotation which its his job to lose the Rotation well have 3 guys under age 30 and CC at 33 on opening day. So much for the dumb old jokes I see here about the Yanks…That’s your reality check!

• proudlycanadian - Feb 11, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Congratulations. You used Capital letters where you should use capital letters and your over all comments were literate.

• gbrim - Feb 11, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Mr. proudlycanadian– You, however, used a capital letter where it did not belong (Capital), and misspelled overall. Maybe another topic for your criticism would work out better for you. Think about it.

• proudlycanadian - Feb 11, 2014 at 10:30 AM

Well done sir, I humbly stand corrected.

• canadiansportsfan77 - Feb 11, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Ok as much as I love a good harry bash…this is a sports blog, not an English class. Correcting spelling and grammar just shows you don’t have any good response to the previous post.

• proudlycanadian - Feb 11, 2014 at 11:38 AM

I think that it is hilarious, that I went out and wrote something nice about Harry for a change, and garnered a lot of thumbs downs. Not sure if some people are ignorant of Harry’s usual content and style idiosyncrasies or do they think that I should have bashed Harry. .

• cur'68 - Feb 11, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Seriously, PC. Where are all these Freedom Of Spelling clowns when dirrtyharry is slinging his poo all over the place? He writes a ton of garbage about us and our rooting interest, all of it unprovoked, and I never see any of these people say anything. You make one comment and look at them jumping up to defend the Ole Poo Flinger. Jeez.

• kevinbnyc - Feb 11, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Are the Canadians multiplying?

• proudlycanadian - Feb 11, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Breeding like rabbits!

• dirtyharry1971 - Feb 11, 2014 at 10:26 PM

yea pc and old gasser with their grammar comments, I mean what am I writing here a term paper? And cur I never started posting my garbage until everytime I came here and on every Yankee post there was pc adding his 2 cents of nonsense. But when I dish it back you two lovebirds got your panties in a bunch. awwww aint that too bad?

• proudlycanadian - Feb 11, 2014 at 10:31 PM

Yawn!

• dirtyharry1971 - Feb 12, 2014 at 9:09 AM

I know the truth hurts PC but we both know what I say is 100% accurate. Now you can run along and go correct someone’s grammar or as in this case incorrectly LOL

3. Jason @ IIATMS - Feb 11, 2014 at 9:59 AM

BSOML… Best Shoulder Of My Life

4. proudlycanadian - Feb 11, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Regarding, Craig’s comment that Pineda made quite a splash in 2011, I must point out that he had a Jeckel and Hyde type of season that year. Prior to the All Star break, he was 8 & 6 with a 3.03 ERA. After the Break , he was 1 & 4 with a 5.12 ERA. I doubt that Seattle would have traded him if they expected that he would become an Ace.

• bostonboresme - Feb 11, 2014 at 12:04 PM

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Incorrect.

• proudlycanadian - Feb 11, 2014 at 12:58 PM

Look it up on the MLB.com website. He basically stunk in the second half and Seattle consequently gave up on him.

• TheMorningStar - Feb 11, 2014 at 12:11 PM

I loathe the Yankees as much as anyone, and the Cash man is a horrible GM when he can’t use mega $$$ to buy players. That being said, New York absolutely rooked Seattle in this deal.

Pineda has a huge upside while Jesus Montero will always be a bum.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 11, 2014 at 12:32 PM

Awful GM, never done anything good. Amazing that the Yanks have 4 WS wins and 2 other trips while he was GM. Let me guess, Sox fan?

• proudlycanadian - Feb 11, 2014 at 1:03 PM

So far, both Pineda and Montero have both been bums. Both teams thought that they were trading away highly rated bums.

• anxovies - Feb 11, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Montero was very well regarded as a hitter in the Yankees organization but his defense was poor as a catcher and they believed him to be too big and slow to move to the outfield. First base was not an option because of Teixiera and the DH position was needed to rest veterans. The Mariners had a lot of pitching but needed hitting that didn’t cost a lot. The fact that Pinera faded in the second half of the season was attributed to the fact that he was a rookie and it’s not unusual for a first year player to do that. Everyone thought it was a good deal for both teams at the time.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 11, 2014 at 12:23 PM

I thought we were past using ERA and w-l as a measure of a pitcher?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 11, 2014 at 12:30 PM

For instance:

2011:
        1st Half – 9.00 K/9, 2.87 BB/9, 3.14 K/BB, 0.80 HR/9, .246 BABIP, 74.8 LOB%, 3.24 FIP
        2nd Half – 9.31 K/9, 2.95 BB/9, 3.16 K/BB, 1.24 HR/9, .282 BABIP, 60.9 LOB%, 3.78 FIP

Slightly worse stats, but horrible LOB% so more earned runs.

• dirtyharry1971 - Feb 11, 2014 at 10:31 PM

I love how PC can judge this kid’s entire career based on one season, Halladay didn’t do as good as this kid did in his first full season in the MLB and he did real bad in his 2nd so by what you are saying he’s a bum. Good thing the jays didn’t feel that way about him huh? Amazing the logic you attempt to use here

• proudlycanadian - Feb 11, 2014 at 10:33 PM

Once hitters figured him out, he became quite hittable.

• proudlycanadian - Feb 11, 2014 at 10:52 PM

Pineda’s health will be a big issue as he missed all of 2012 and most of 2013. He made 10 starts in Double A and Triple A last season before being shut down again due to shoulder soreness. I am sure that he felt 100% prior to those minor league starts; however, it did not last. There is no guarantee that his shoulder will hold up this season and no guarantee that he will pitch a lot of innings. I hope he stays healthy; however, there is a possibility that he will not. I do not think that the Yankees should count on him for a lot of innings.

5. cackalackyank - Feb 11, 2014 at 10:17 AM

I am skeptical of any pronouncements of health at this point in the season. He could be the X factor, or he could be toast. Let’s see how he is after @100 innings.

6. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Feb 11, 2014 at 10:37 AM

It’s not like the Yankees were going anywhere last season anyway, and apart from bumping CC from the rotation I don’t think they were going to squeeze Pineda in. I am hoping he can rediscover some of his early 2011 form. It would make him a nice throw-in for the Jose Campos trade

7. uyf1950 - Feb 11, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Pineda can make a big contribution to the Yankees starting rotation if he is and can stay healthy and pitch well. With 4 years of team control even if he max’s out as a solid #3 after this season it will be a high benefit to the Yankees going into the 2015 season and beyond. Just a guess but I think Pineda is going to surprise a lot of his critics this year and in a good way with a good season. time for talk is over though it’s time to show he can contribute and contribute in a big way.

By the start of the 2015 season the Yankees will know if they are sitting on a starting rotation “gold mine”. Potentially 4 young stars and I do want to emphasize the word “potentially”.
    Nova would be just 29 to start the 2015 season
    Pineda would be just 27 to start the 2015 season
    Tanaka would be just 26 to start the 2015 season
    Banuelos would be just 24 to start the 2015 season
    It’s hard to believe the Yankees could have 4 starters ALL under the age of 30. All 4 pitchers with several years of team control. As with anything with great potential comes great risk. But I’ll be damned if it isn’t worth it.

• pisano - Feb 11, 2014 at 12:11 PM

uyf1950…. my friend, lets not forget Phelps, I know I’m big on him, maybe more so than I should be, but I see a bit of bull dog in him. I think what I admire about him most is he doesn’t get rattled. I hope I’m correct about him being a sleeper, time will tell.

• TheMorningStar - Feb 11, 2014 at 12:13 PM

Phelps is a bum.

• uyf1950 - Feb 11, 2014 at 12:49 PM

pisano my friend, the reason I didn’t include Phelps in my comment is I really think he has a very limited upside. I don’t see him being able to climb any higher then a #4 starter. I hope I’m wrong and that you are right. We’ll have to wait and see.

• uyf1950 - Feb 11, 2014 at 12:58 PM

@ The Morning Star , try and put your anti Yankees bias and hatred aside and evaluate the player on the facts.

• proudlycanadian - Feb 11, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Hope springs eternal in the off season. Good luck.

• uyf1950 - Feb 11, 2014 at 1:02 PM

Thank you my friend. Best of luck to you and the Jays as well.

• proudlycanadian - Feb 11, 2014 at 1:06 PM

You are welcome. Like you with the Yankees, I can see a lot of upside for the young pitchers on the Jays roster as well as some that will start the year in the high minors.

• uyf1950 - Feb 11, 2014 at 1:08 PM

correction to 2 players ages:
      Nova will be just “28” to start the 2015 season
      Pineda will be just “26” to start the 2015 season.

The other players ages are correct. Sorry for the confusion.

8. tysonpunchinguterus - Feb 11, 2014 at 1:17 PM

A healthy Pineda would be a great addition to the rotation. I’m not getting my hopes up, though. Too many guys have declared themselves to be 100% after an injury and wound up back on the DL or just weren’t the same again. If the team gets the performance that made him a RoY candidate, then that’s a great thing to get from a 5th starter.

9. nyeagles10 - Feb 11, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Phelps is nothing better then a long reliever, hoping pineda can come thru for that 5th spot

• uyf1950 - Feb 11, 2014 at 1:34 PM

I’m not sure you can just write off Phelps like that based on such a small sample size of games he’s pitched a total of 55 games (23 starts and 32 relief appearances).

• TheMorningStar - Feb 11, 2014 at 3:59 PM

As of 2013, David Phelps: 10 wins, 9 losses, WHIP of 1.299 = BUM.

You shouldn’t let your pro yankee bais stop you from reviewing…FACTS.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 11, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Stop using W-L to determine how good a pitcher is.

• TheMorningStar - Feb 11, 2014 at 4:27 PM

• uyf1950 - Feb 11, 2014 at 5:49 PM

@ church…., apparently the poster with the moniker “TheMorningStar” doesn’t understand the meaning or believe in the saying “Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.” Even though he gives credence to it’s meaning with every one of his posts.

10. TheMorningStar - Feb 12, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Sounds like you are describing every Yankee fan who posts here…including yourself.

Funny how you and every other Yankee wanker disappeared from posting when the Boston Red Sox ran through the playoffs to become World Series Champions.

Either way, staying silent, or spouting off nonsense, we all know you are a fool.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate