Feb 11, 2014, 11:31 AM EDT
And brains. And an enlightened outlook. And, unlike most other times, I mean this 100% sincerely.
Young was asked on 103.3FM in Dallas about how the teams he played for would handle a gay teammate. For Young it would have been no issue at all. Because he knows that, in all statistically likelihood, he has already had a gay teammate. And if he had one that was out, well, it wouldn’t matter:
I guarantee you I’ve had a gay teammate,” Young said. “This may be the first openly gay player in the NFL, but clearly we know there have been tons in every sport — male, female, there have been tons in every sport.
“We just don’t know about them or who they are. They’re out there right now. They’re out there in the NBA, in the NHL, in the big leagues and in the NFL. Hopefully players are just comfortable being themselves.”
For Young it would have been all about whether the guy could play or not. How refreshing to hear.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)