Feb 11, 2014, 11:31 AM EDT
And brains. And an enlightened outlook. And, unlike most other times, I mean this 100% sincerely.
Young was asked on 103.3FM in Dallas about how the teams he played for would handle a gay teammate. For Young it would have been no issue at all. Because he knows that, in all statistically likelihood, he has already had a gay teammate. And if he had one that was out, well, it wouldn’t matter:
I guarantee you I’ve had a gay teammate,” Young said. “This may be the first openly gay player in the NFL, but clearly we know there have been tons in every sport — male, female, there have been tons in every sport.
“We just don’t know about them or who they are. They’re out there right now. They’re out there in the NBA, in the NHL, in the big leagues and in the NFL. Hopefully players are just comfortable being themselves.”
For Young it would have been all about whether the guy could play or not. How refreshing to hear.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 30
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 56
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)