Feb 11, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
Mark Berman of FOX 26 Sports reports that Nolan Ryan will join the Houston Astros as an advisor to owner Jim Crane, general manager Jeff Luhnow, and his son Reid Ryan, president of business operations. The job is supposed to have both business operations and baseball operations roles.
Which is interesting, as Ryan stepping on baseball operations toes — or having others step on his toes, depending on who you listen to — was one of the reasons he left the Rangers. I’m guessing, though, that Ryan will get along with his son pretty well, OK. At least one would hope.
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 0
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 17
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 35
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 18
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)