Feb 11, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
Mark Berman of FOX 26 Sports reports that Nolan Ryan will join the Houston Astros as an advisor to owner Jim Crane, general manager Jeff Luhnow, and his son Reid Ryan, president of business operations. The job is supposed to have both business operations and baseball operations roles.
Which is interesting, as Ryan stepping on baseball operations toes — or having others step on his toes, depending on who you listen to — was one of the reasons he left the Rangers. I’m guessing, though, that Ryan will get along with his son pretty well, OK. At least one would hope.
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 52
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 101
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 74
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 75
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)