Feb 11, 2014, 4:40 PM EST
Mark Berman of FOX 26 Sports reports that Nolan Ryan will join the Houston Astros as an advisor to owner Jim Crane, general manager Jeff Luhnow, and his son Reid Ryan, president of business operations. The job is supposed to have both business operations and baseball operations roles.
Which is interesting, as Ryan stepping on baseball operations toes — or having others step on his toes, depending on who you listen to — was one of the reasons he left the Rangers. I’m guessing, though, that Ryan will get along with his son pretty well, OK. At least one would hope.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 44
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 62
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 42
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)