Paul Daugherty is not happy with Aroldis Chapman

Feb 11, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT

Cleveland Indians v Cincinnati Reds Getty Images

Yesterday we linked the story about Aroldis Champan’s offseason in the wilderness. He’s having adjustment problems. He sleeps late. He seems aimless in the offseason. It was kind of sad, actually, and you do wonder about where his head is at.

Paul Daugherty certainly wonders. He’s quite upset at the story — he even questions its veracity it is so surprising to him — and he gives Chapman a talking-to via his column. A serious one. If you doubt that, note that he cites Joey Votto as a positive example. This after Daugherty has spent the past year ripping Votto until Hell wouldn’t have it. Any weapon at hand, I guess.

The weird thing, though, is that Daugherty doesn’t even mention the single biggest reason to rip Chapman: that he is apparently a chain smoker. On what planet that’s acceptable for a professional athlete these days is beyond me, but Daugherty doesn’t mention it. If he had I’d be nodding in chorus.

What he does rip him for is (a) not considering starting pitching, preferring only to be a closer; and (b) working on his hitting and saying that the game gets repetitive.

Daugherty asserts that Chapman and Chapman alone has insisted that he be a closer, but that doesn’t exactly jibe with stuff we’ve heard from the Reds in the past. Dusty Baker and others in the organization used to give a lot of quotes about preferring that Chapman close. Maybe that has changed — perhaps the Reds approached Chapman recently and asked him to start only to have him refuse — but if that’s the case it’s both news and it’s, in all likelihood, a partial function of how the club has treated Chapman in the past few years: as a closer.

As for the other stuff? Eh, a lot of players get bored and try different things in the offseason. Some players spend all winter in duck blinds or something. Chapman goes to the batting cage and sleeps in. So what? It seems to me that the biggest takeaway from the Chapman profile is some concern about how he’s been adjusting (or not) not dissatisfaction at his attitude. But that’s just me I suppose.

But seriously, Aroldis: quit smoking. That crap will kill you.

1. jm91rs - Feb 11, 2014 at 9:54 AM

Damnit Craig, you just gave Daugherty exactly what he wanted. If we all ignore him he’ll just go away eventually.

• Jason @ IIATMS - Feb 11, 2014 at 10:00 AM

That doesn’t work.

-Dan Shaughnessy

• jm91rs - Feb 11, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Dan gets mentioned at least once a month on this site for his terrible work. I’m sure half of his page views come from people jumping over from bloggers that ripped his work.

• Jason @ IIATMS - Feb 11, 2014 at 10:07 AM

if you’re paid by PV and you have a platform, just toss enough stuff out there to cause a commotion and presto, cash.

The likes of Big Red, Lupica, et al make me puke

• 78mu - Feb 12, 2014 at 3:42 AM

Maybe Daugherty smokes and doesn’t consider it a problem.

I remember back in 1975 after Willie Davis had been traded to the Cardinals my brother and I had seats next to the dugout at Busch. I looked over as Davis stood on the top step, took a long drag on a cigarette and as he strolled to the on deck circle exhaled a trail of smoke.

Davis died at the age of 69, apparently of natural causes so it doesn’t seem the cancer sticks killed him.

2. crookedstick - Feb 11, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Keep grinding that axe against Daugherty Craig and hopefully you’ll eventually not have anything left to grind.

• jm91rs - Feb 11, 2014 at 10:24 AM

I’m not a fan of Craig’s posts ripping other writers, I really prefer to read his original content, but Daugherty is a clown. He puts one good story out every year (Heart warming updates about his daughter). Every sports related story he writes has one goal, take the view of the minority and try to piss off the majority.

3. karlkolchak - Feb 11, 2014 at 10:40 AM

The smoking thing reminds me of pitcher Scott Olsen, who smoked heavily, looked promising as a youngster but was pretty much done by age 26. Chapman’s obviously more talented than Olsen, but the days when you could last a long time in baseball without being in top shape are over.

• kinggw - Feb 11, 2014 at 5:17 PM

C.C.Sabathia begs to differ

4. rbj1 - Feb 11, 2014 at 11:09 AM

So is Aroldis not in the Best Shape of His Life?

5. kyleshabram - Feb 11, 2014 at 11:30 AM

What a wonderful offseason it has been in Cincy. Wonderful indeed!!!

6. dixiewrect - Feb 11, 2014 at 11:36 AM

he’s a closer not an athlete let him smoke.

7. coryfor3 - Feb 11, 2014 at 11:46 AM

Chapman can’t consider becoming a starter. He doesn’t have the lung capacity.

8. billybawl - Feb 11, 2014 at 12:17 PM

What struck me about the article was that this is a kid with a gazillion dollars, bored out of his gourd. At least he has his family with him, and not a posse off the street.

And for the smoking, it will kill eventually, but c’mon. Plenty of greats smoked heavily throughout long and productive careers. And plenty of guys who didn’t smoke flamed out young.

9. purplejesus28 - Feb 11, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Who the hell is Paul Daugherty? Should I care (it doesn’t sound like I should)?

• contraryguy - Feb 11, 2014 at 9:45 PM

Head sports writer for the Cincinnati Enquirer/cincinnati.com. Frequently pens vitriolic columns where it’s not always necessarily needed; generally annoying to read.

Chapman doesn’t need a talking-to from the press, he needs it from the coaching staff. Unfortunately, I doubt that’s going to happen.

10. jm91rs - Feb 11, 2014 at 3:41 PM

I wonder how long he’s been smoking, because some Reds players have publicly marveled at Chapman’s physique. They say he looks like Usain Bolt and is a freak athlete.

• ptfu - Feb 11, 2014 at 7:53 PM

Ah, to be young again.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3886)