Roy Oswalt retires

Feb 11, 2014, 12:32 PM EST

Roy Oswalt was one of the best when he was in his prime, but then his prime ended, as did his health and effectiveness. Now he’s calling it quits:

Oswalt had said earlier this winter that he had wanted to pitch this year, but no one was biting. And, frankly, that’s understandable. Oswalt had an 8.63 ERA in six starts and three relief appearances in 2013 after posting a 5.80 ERA in nine starts and eight relief appearances with the Rangers in 2012. His velocity was down and people were hitting line drives off him.

But before he lost it he was a wonderful pitcher, of course. He finishes his career with a 163-102 record, a 3.36 ERA and a K/BB ratio of 1,852/520 over 2,245.1 innings in 13 seasons.  He had 150 wins through his first ten seasons and looked slated for the Hall of Fame.

For both good and for bad, I’ll probably think of him as the pitching Dale Murphy. Not as good as Murphy at his peak, of course, but up there. Just one of the best. And then the unfortunate premature falloff.

1. misterschmo - Feb 11, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Nice career, congrats, Roy.

2. fnc111 - Feb 11, 2014 at 12:49 PM

The article is more negative than positive. Sad, because the writer could only dream of a career and money made like Roy had.

• jimeejohnson - Feb 11, 2014 at 7:53 PM

You mad, bro?

• tuberippin - Feb 12, 2014 at 4:06 AM

It’s more negative than positive because the last three years of Roy’s career were more negative than positive.

3. rabbi187 - Feb 11, 2014 at 12:53 PM

He’ll prolly go down as one of the most underrated pitchers ever. He was as good as anybody from about 2004-2010 and if he ever had any kind of run support when he played for the Astros, he would probably have a Cy Young award and would have most definitely gotten to 200 wins. Great career Wizard.

• RickyB - Feb 11, 2014 at 3:07 PM

So you’re saying that he could turn some of his losses into wins and some of his 55 or so no-decisions into wins, enough to get him another 37? While disregarding the games in which he got excellent run support instead of just average? That’s like saying Willie Mays would have hit 800 homers if he didn’t have to play in Candlestick.

• rabbi187 - Feb 11, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Undoubtedly, yes. Even back when the Astros were consistently making the playoffs, they did it on pitching and defense. It’s hard to score lots of runs when your 7,8, and 9 hitters are Adam Everett, Brad Ausmus, and a pitcher. Did you obviously didn’t watch much Astros games..

• tuberippin - Feb 12, 2014 at 4:07 AM

“That’s like saying Willie Mays would have hit 800 homers if he didn’t have to play in Candlestick.”

To be fair, Hank Aaron has been quoted as saying that Willie Mays would be the all-time home runs leader had Mays not had to play in Candlestick Park.

• kyleshabram - Feb 11, 2014 at 8:44 PM

I watched him against the Cards for years. He was my least favorite player to play against (besides Berkman) He’s a HOF talent without the resume to be in the HOF, IMO.

4. knicksmets - Feb 11, 2014 at 1:02 PM

Good luck in your future ventures Roy, hope he has a great retirement

5. karlkolchak - Feb 11, 2014 at 1:08 PM

Who would have thought during their last year together with the Phillies that both Oswalt and Halladay would unravel so quickly?

• tuberippin - Feb 12, 2014 at 4:08 AM

My Phils, from 2010 to 2012, were a team of soaring highs and crushing lows.

6. stex52 - Feb 11, 2014 at 1:10 PM

He was as dependable as they come in his prime. Go run that tractor, Roy. Thanks for the good years.

7. chinahand11 - Feb 11, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Darn. Roy, you could really bring it in your prime. Sad to see you go sir, have a great retirement.

8. cackalackyank - Feb 11, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Good decision. Good pitcher. Enjoy the ride, Roy.

9. stlouis1baseball - Feb 11, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Wonderful career. Congratulations on the retirement Roy.

10. jimeejohnson - Feb 11, 2014 at 7:54 PM

Go on, take the money and run.

11. jeffa43 - Feb 11, 2014 at 8:09 PM

Thanks for all good times you provided Roy…. You have a hall of fame section in my man cave…
    Enjoy retirement…. Go get some deer!

12. kyleshabram - Feb 11, 2014 at 8:41 PM

MUST READ! As a Cards fan, I have to tell this story… in 2005, I was displaced back to my hometown of STL due to Katrina, and I was working at Imo’s Pizza. Even though my buddy got me the job, I STILL got fired during game 6 of the NLCS because I absolutely refused to stop watching Roy Oswalt pitch on the little bitty television in the dining room. His fastball location at all four conrers of the zone waa the best I ever remember seeing. He was a great gamer, and a good southerner! (Game 6 was the game AFTER “The Home Run” by Pujols off of Lidge, which made his performance even more spectacular)
    I dont regret it!! Also, my buddy got me a job at another Imo’s about 2 miles away… so that helped too!!

• jeffa43 - Feb 11, 2014 at 11:59 PM

He had a live fastball that night.. He painted in on Albert, painted away.. I watched that game ten times that week.
      I here you, you were in the moment and appreciated it.

He was one of my favorites..

And to all that thumb down these thoughts ..

We don’t care, we understand legendary players and games..
      Go hold your signed A Rod ball..

• stex52 - Feb 12, 2014 at 8:32 AM

Four pitches. Not many could bring all four. Having Oswalt on the mound was the definition of being off-balance as a hitter. And he was a gamer. Remember, he was a 23rd round draft choice. I think the only thing that kept him going longer was being so relatively small. Levering those pitches up seemed to take a lot out of the ribs and back.

Career WAR (BRef) of 49.9. That’s in the range where everyone talks about him for HOF, but he just won’t quite make it.

Good job, Roy.

• stex52 - Feb 12, 2014 at 8:32 AM

“Kept him from going longer”

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 13, 2014 at 3:20 PM

Hell of a story Kyle. For what it’s worth…you are still a bigger man than me.
      Cause’ I would have called in sick!

13. straightouttavtown - Feb 11, 2014 at 9:26 PM

Sad day. Roy Oswalt is one of my favorite pitchers to watch growing up. I had a few conversations with him on Twitter last year when he was making his comeback with the Rockies and he came across as an extremely likeable guy, unlike what’s been often portrayed in the media. I thought he got a raw deal in Texas in 2012 and was rooting for his comeback last year but sadly it didn’t work out. I guess the scouts saw thinking I didn’t. I wish him luck in his future endeavors.

14. raysfan1 - Feb 11, 2014 at 10:07 PM

So, based on that tweet, he’s going to be an agent now? Interesting.

Best wishes to him.

15. keltictim - Feb 11, 2014 at 11:09 PM

I wish the Red Sox could have landed him the couple of runs they made at him. I think he would have done pretty well in Boston. Contrary to popular belief there’s some good deer hunting in MA. If you know where to go.

16. blazertop - Feb 12, 2014 at 10:12 PM

Thanks for game 6 in StL -2005

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4468)
  2. M. Kemp (3603)
  3. M. Cabrera (2860)
  4. M. Morse (2536)
  5. J. Kang (2407)
  1. J. Upton (2383)
  2. C. Headley (2142)
  3. A. Rios (2130)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (1876)
  5. J. Peavy (1802)