Feb 11, 2014, 2:56 PM EDT
The Orioles are one of the teams that was linked with Bronson Arroyo for much of the offseason. Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that one of the reasons they lost out on him was that the Orioles had already failed two players on physicals this offseason and Arroyo was concerned that they’d pull it with him:
But, according to one source, another serious factor was that the Orioles had failed two players’ physicals this offseason — outfielder Tyler Colvin‘s one-year deal and the high-profile decision to walk away from Balfour and his two-year, $15 million agreement due to concerns about his right shoulder . . . t’s impossible to say that was the leading factor in Arroyo’s decision to go to Arizona, but it seemingly played a part.
The money, apparently, favored Baltimore. But Arroyo chose the Diamondbacks. Maybe because the NL West is easier. Maybe for some other reason. But part of it was the O’s dealings with Balfour and Colvin.
- Today is the Sox’ annual Patriot’s Day game. It’s more significant now than ever. 5
- Boswell: “Harper may be the Nats’ seventh-best player” 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 71
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 10
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 172
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (249)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (172)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)