The Yankees introduce Masahiro Tanaka

Feb 11, 2014, 2:21 PM EDT

Masahiro Tanaka AP

The Yankees held a press conference today to introduce Masahiro Tanaka. It was the largest assemblage of media for a Yankees player introduction since Hideki Matsui came to town in 2003. But for all of the scribes and television cameras in attendance, no actual news was broken.

Indeed, Yankees pressers are pretty much a game of bingo these days. The Yankees consider nothing short of a championship to be a success [check]. The big stage of Yankees stadium is what it’s all about [check]. There is nothing as intense as Red Sox-Yankees series [check]. More talk of wanting and expecting to win championships [check]. It is interesting because, apparently, players who play for other teams do not attempt to win championships — that’s a uniquely Yankees thing. I’m not sure what they say.

1. gothapotamus90210 - Feb 11, 2014 at 2:40 PM

All Your Rings Are Belong To Us

• Old Gator - Feb 12, 2014 at 9:13 AM

(Lips keep moving between words)

2. spudchukar - Feb 11, 2014 at 2:49 PM

If there was ever an individual who “needs no introduction” it is Tanaka.

• Old Gator - Feb 12, 2014 at 9:14 AM

It’s not about needing. It’s about having.

3. chip56 - Feb 11, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Can Jeff Baker really turn to the writers in Miami and honestly say he signed with the Marlins for a chance to win a championship? Can Robinson Cano say that about signing with the Mariners? Can Curtis Granderson say it about signing with the Mets or Omar Infante about signing with the Royals?

Clearly, a player who signs with the Yankees is interested in other things offered by the Yankees, but at least you can honestly say that part of it has to do with the chance to win a World Series.

• hockeyflow33 - Feb 11, 2014 at 5:11 PM

It doesn’t hurt that they pay the most either.

• chip56 - Feb 12, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Like I said, it’s not the only reason players sign there – but it is a reason.

Much like personality isn’t the only reason a team signs a player, but it can factor into the decision.

4. jolink653 - Feb 11, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Part of it is they are perennial World Series contenders, except for last season, but I’m a realistic Yankees fan and I don’t kid myself: the vast majority are here mostly because the Yankees pay so much better than every other team, which is why it gets harder to really get into a team of hired mercenaries. I loved the older days with homegrown players like Bernie, Spencer, Ledee and others. Some of those players weren’t all that good, but you rooted harder for them to be successful because they were from the system. And even the players they brought in via trades or free agency were relatively cheap and they were blue collar, hardworking guys like Brosius, O’Neill and Tino who were easy to root for.

These days I’m getting sick of the Yankees bringing in the newest former Red Sox player who’s here just for money. Hated Damon and they signed him; hated Youkilis and they signed him, and hated Ellsbury and now he’s here. More investment in the farm system would be so much better for them

• happytwinsfan - Feb 11, 2014 at 3:59 PM

if they did rely on more from within, would you be willing to accept some down years as the price?

• jolink653 - Feb 12, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Yeah, I really wouldn’t be upset with a few down years if it’s in the interest of developing talent for future years. I thought last year was a chance for them to make some progress on that and give the young kids some at bats in the majors, and instead they filled the roster from the scrap heap with Overbay, Hafner and the rotating carousel at third. They basically wasted the year just to tread water

• pftfan - Feb 11, 2014 at 4:36 PM

How can one hate Damon? He was a major piece of the Yankees 2009 postseason run.

• jolink653 - Feb 12, 2014 at 12:18 PM

I meant I hated Damon at the time of the signing because he was one of the faces of that Red Sox team that all Yankees fans spent so much time hating. He did help immensely in 2009, but in my mind he was always a Red Sox player

5. doctorfootball - Feb 11, 2014 at 3:22 PM

It’s an introductory press conference. What kind of surprises were you expecting, Craig?

• chip56 - Feb 11, 2014 at 3:30 PM

I think he was hoping for Alex Rodriguez to appear out of no where – slam Tanaka with a folding chair and then body slamming him through a table while Michael Kay screams “Oh my God that’s Alex Rodriguez, what’s he doing here?!?!?!” Then Alex rips his shirt off and he’s wearing an NWO t-shirt.

I realize some of you won’t get the reference, but don’t be afraid to admit it if you do.

• doctorfootball - Feb 11, 2014 at 3:48 PM

Understood. But Craig said he was expecting surprises. I thought it was a given A-Rod might do that?

• chip56 - Feb 11, 2014 at 4:31 PM

fair enough.

6. cmoney4949 - Feb 11, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Let’s hope they fail at buying another championship.

7. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Feb 11, 2014 at 3:45 PM

“I don’t know what Cashman is talking about or CC is thinking, but I am the ace of this team”

~I wish he said

8. Professor Fate - Feb 11, 2014 at 5:24 PM

“He’s happy to be there. They’re happy to have him. The press doesn’t yet have an angle on him. At the moment, everyone’s happy.”

So, it’s all downhill from here?

9. nymets4ever - Feb 11, 2014 at 5:26 PM

Hey Craig. Where’s your rant about Freddie Freeman’s “This is a great honor” / “I’d like to thank Frank Wren and ownership for making this happen” / “I’m not gonna do anything different, just go out and play hard and play the right way” cliches he undoubtedly spouted during his recent press conference…….

10. baseballlifestyle101 - Feb 11, 2014 at 9:55 PM

Reblogged this on Baseball Lifestyle101 and commented:
    Masahiro Tanaka in Pinstripes

11. rangermania - Feb 12, 2014 at 12:52 AM

I am delighted to see the Yankees spend huge sums on several players like Tanaka which pretty much jeeps them from stealing the really talented players from other teams. Since there is little loyalty among players of late it is important that the Yanks exhaust their deep pockets on as few players as possible. Go Yankees!

• uyf1950 - Feb 12, 2014 at 7:39 AM

Do you mean spend huge sums of money on players like Prince Fielder or Choo or Beltre just to name 3. Then there was the over $100MM the Rangers paid to sign Darvish. I guess those are 4 players the Yankees couldn’t steal from other teams because the Rangers stole them from other teams first by spending “huge” sums of money on them. The pot should really be careful about calling the kettle black.

12. uyf1950 - Feb 12, 2014 at 7:47 AM

I think you have to admire Tanaka, yes he got paid a whole bunch of money but it’s not like the Yankees were the only team willing to spend a lot to get his services. The young man seems to relish the challenge and wants to pitch on the biggest stage in MLB. I wish him the best, not just because I am a Yankees fan but because he brings a sense of excitement back and he will bring out fans across baseball when the Yankees play other teams during the season. A young potential ace and elite pitcher is never a bad thing for a team to sign. That’s just my opinion.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win