Feb 11, 2014, 2:21 PM EDT
The Yankees held a press conference today to introduce Masahiro Tanaka. It was the largest assemblage of media for a Yankees player introduction since Hideki Matsui came to town in 2003. But for all of the scribes and television cameras in attendance, no actual news was broken.
Indeed, Yankees pressers are pretty much a game of bingo these days. The Yankees consider nothing short of a championship to be a success [check]. The big stage of Yankees stadium is what it’s all about [check]. There is nothing as intense as Red Sox-Yankees series [check]. More talk of wanting and expecting to win championships [check]. It is interesting because, apparently, players who play for other teams do not attempt to win championships — that’s a uniquely Yankees thing. I’m not sure what they say.
He’s happy to be there. They’re happy to have him. The press doesn’t yet have an angle on him. At the moment, everyone’s happy.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 26
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 25
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 33
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 89
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (121)