Feb 11, 2014, 10:17 PM EST
Via Rhett Bollinger, the Twins beat writer at MLB.com:
MINNEAPOLIS — Twins general manager Terry Ryan underwent successful neck surgery at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., on Tuesday, the club announced.
Ryan, who will remain hospitalized for two or three days, announced Monday that he had been diagnosed with squamous-cell carcinoma in a lymph node in his neck. It came after he underwent his annual physical with Twins team physician Dr. Vijay Eyunni two weeks ago.
Ryan will need radiation treatment once he is healed from Tuesday’s neck procedure. He’s expected to miss the majority — if not all — of spring training, but the cancer is believed to be fully treatable at this point.
“We’re just going to work together and try to make the best decisions for the club, and obviously we’re going to have a lot of decisions to make in spring training,” Twins assistant general manager Rob Antony told reporters on Monday. “This is a tough time of year, as you put this thing together, but we’ve done our offseason work for the most part now, and we’re going to have to make some decisions. But the players usually make the decisions for us in spring training, so we’ll move forward.”
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)