Feb 11, 2014, 10:17 PM EDT
Via Rhett Bollinger, the Twins beat writer at MLB.com:
MINNEAPOLIS — Twins general manager Terry Ryan underwent successful neck surgery at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., on Tuesday, the club announced.
Ryan, who will remain hospitalized for two or three days, announced Monday that he had been diagnosed with squamous-cell carcinoma in a lymph node in his neck. It came after he underwent his annual physical with Twins team physician Dr. Vijay Eyunni two weeks ago.
Ryan will need radiation treatment once he is healed from Tuesday’s neck procedure. He’s expected to miss the majority — if not all — of spring training, but the cancer is believed to be fully treatable at this point.
“We’re just going to work together and try to make the best decisions for the club, and obviously we’re going to have a lot of decisions to make in spring training,” Twins assistant general manager Rob Antony told reporters on Monday. “This is a tough time of year, as you put this thing together, but we’ve done our offseason work for the most part now, and we’re going to have to make some decisions. But the players usually make the decisions for us in spring training, so we’ll move forward.”
- Michael Wacha to make first rehab start Sunday with the Double-A Springfield Cardinals 0
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 20
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 11
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 41
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (143)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (90)