Feb 11, 2014, 10:17 PM EDT
Via Rhett Bollinger, the Twins beat writer at MLB.com:
MINNEAPOLIS — Twins general manager Terry Ryan underwent successful neck surgery at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., on Tuesday, the club announced.
Ryan, who will remain hospitalized for two or three days, announced Monday that he had been diagnosed with squamous-cell carcinoma in a lymph node in his neck. It came after he underwent his annual physical with Twins team physician Dr. Vijay Eyunni two weeks ago.
Ryan will need radiation treatment once he is healed from Tuesday’s neck procedure. He’s expected to miss the majority — if not all — of spring training, but the cancer is believed to be fully treatable at this point.
“We’re just going to work together and try to make the best decisions for the club, and obviously we’re going to have a lot of decisions to make in spring training,” Twins assistant general manager Rob Antony told reporters on Monday. “This is a tough time of year, as you put this thing together, but we’ve done our offseason work for the most part now, and we’re going to have to make some decisions. But the players usually make the decisions for us in spring training, so we’ll move forward.”
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 118
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 156
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 56
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (173)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (167)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (157)