Feb 11, 2014, 10:17 PM EST
Via Rhett Bollinger, the Twins beat writer at MLB.com:
MINNEAPOLIS — Twins general manager Terry Ryan underwent successful neck surgery at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., on Tuesday, the club announced.
Ryan, who will remain hospitalized for two or three days, announced Monday that he had been diagnosed with squamous-cell carcinoma in a lymph node in his neck. It came after he underwent his annual physical with Twins team physician Dr. Vijay Eyunni two weeks ago.
Ryan will need radiation treatment once he is healed from Tuesday’s neck procedure. He’s expected to miss the majority — if not all — of spring training, but the cancer is believed to be fully treatable at this point.
“We’re just going to work together and try to make the best decisions for the club, and obviously we’re going to have a lot of decisions to make in spring training,” Twins assistant general manager Rob Antony told reporters on Monday. “This is a tough time of year, as you put this thing together, but we’ve done our offseason work for the most part now, and we’re going to have to make some decisions. But the players usually make the decisions for us in spring training, so we’ll move forward.”
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)