Feb 11, 2014, 10:17 PM EDT
Via Rhett Bollinger, the Twins beat writer at MLB.com:
MINNEAPOLIS — Twins general manager Terry Ryan underwent successful neck surgery at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., on Tuesday, the club announced.
Ryan, who will remain hospitalized for two or three days, announced Monday that he had been diagnosed with squamous-cell carcinoma in a lymph node in his neck. It came after he underwent his annual physical with Twins team physician Dr. Vijay Eyunni two weeks ago.
Ryan will need radiation treatment once he is healed from Tuesday’s neck procedure. He’s expected to miss the majority — if not all — of spring training, but the cancer is believed to be fully treatable at this point.
“We’re just going to work together and try to make the best decisions for the club, and obviously we’re going to have a lot of decisions to make in spring training,” Twins assistant general manager Rob Antony told reporters on Monday. “This is a tough time of year, as you put this thing together, but we’ve done our offseason work for the most part now, and we’re going to have to make some decisions. But the players usually make the decisions for us in spring training, so we’ll move forward.”
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 1
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 5
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 34
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)