Another shocking CC Sabathia weight loss picture …

Feb 12, 2014, 9:35 PM EST

Yankees starter CC Sabathia tweeted this photo from Wednesday night’s Kings @ Knicks game …

source:

Now compare that to his September 2013 physique — it looks like two different people …

source:

Sabathia finished the 2013 regular season with a career-worst 4.78 ERA and 1.37 WHIP in 211 innings. The 33-year-old left-hander clearly did some hard work this winter with an eye on turning things around in 2014.

1. bigharold - Feb 12, 2014 at 9:38 PM

God, .. if he gets off to a bad start, .. I’m send him a case of Capt Crunch.

2. aceinthehole12 - Feb 12, 2014 at 9:43 PM

Good on him being “healthy” but he might have to change up his mechanics to get something behind that fastball.

3. banksatdixie - Feb 12, 2014 at 9:45 PM

I’m sure his fastball is fine, you know, considering he is 6’7 and probably still 275 pounds.

• bigharold - Feb 12, 2014 at 9:49 PM

My fastball ain’t what it used to be and I’m close to 275lbs. Of course I’m 20 years older than Sabathia and about 8 inches shorter.

• djp266 - Feb 12, 2014 at 10:29 PM

Most pitchers use there legs for there velocity so as long as he keeps up his strength and conditioning he should be fine just like Riveria and Petite did and they both weighed less than he did

4. sfm073 - Feb 12, 2014 at 10:21 PM

He looks goofy when he is skinny.

• cackalackyank - Feb 12, 2014 at 11:14 PM

He had a pretty good start when he had the pounds….

5. tfbuckfutter - Feb 12, 2014 at 10:25 PM

I think that guy he’s with got shot on the first episode of this season’s Justified.

• storebrandcookies - Feb 12, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Yes he is, he also plays “Sucre” on Prison Break.

• tfbuckfutter - Feb 12, 2014 at 11:04 PM

Yeah I remember.

I liked the first like….season and a half of that show.

• Francisco (FC) - Feb 13, 2014 at 10:04 AM

That’s because the show was supposed to be a mini-series, when the network demanded it be lengthened the creators were like…. uhh… what do we do now?

I liked season 2 when they were on the run, the FBI agent certainly made things interesting. Season 3 onwards was pedestrian.

• Francisco (FC) - Feb 13, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Although my favorite “Sucre” character moment, is when the group tells him to “take one for the team” and meet up with their target of interest in the pool, some older rich white guy. Turns out when they go to the room, the man wants him to shack up with his wife!

6. baseballisboring - Feb 12, 2014 at 10:30 PM

Can you imagine the media circus if he said “I didn’t do much this winter…I just ate.” LOL

7. butchhuskey - Feb 12, 2014 at 10:39 PM

Well, even at his heaviest he wore the baggiest pants I’ve ever seen on a baseball player. He could never work out and still look a little thinner just by not wearing parachute pants.

• 18thstreet - Feb 13, 2014 at 7:44 AM

Sir, Manny Ramirez wore the baggiest pants in baseball history.

You owe us all an apology.

8. chinahand11 - Feb 12, 2014 at 11:13 PM

He should do a weight-loss info-mercial. He would make even more money. And yes, that guy with him does look like Sucre.

• largebill - Feb 13, 2014 at 8:35 AM

It looks like Sucre because it is the actor who played Sucre. The caption for the pic explains who Sabathia was with.

• chinahand11 - Feb 13, 2014 at 12:14 PM

Thanks largebill.

9. cackalackyank - Feb 12, 2014 at 11:16 PM

As long as there has been conditioning, and a lot of this is improved muscle tone this is good news. If this is just lost weight it could be a disaster. In any case his knees should be thanking him.

10. greymares - Feb 12, 2014 at 11:22 PM

I’m convinced this is a clear case of Gastric bypass “not that there’s anything wrong with that”

11. ryanw822 - Feb 12, 2014 at 11:38 PM

he looks sick.

he needs to get on the Magic Johnson “treatment” plan.

12. schniz61 - Feb 12, 2014 at 11:39 PM

A pair of “skinny jeans” does wonders compared to the baggy-ass uni he’s worn for years.

13. beastmode5150 - Feb 12, 2014 at 11:47 PM

Lab band, now he will probably write a “health” book.

14. dirtyharry1971 - Feb 12, 2014 at 11:51 PM

What most people forget is he had minor surgery on his arm before last season, I fully expect him at 33 years old to bounce back in a big way as his K numbers were still really good and he will be hitting 95 with that heater again next season. My vote for comeback of the year award and the next 300 game winner! Go CC, love ya big guy!

• yahmule - Feb 13, 2014 at 6:31 PM

You’re living in fantasy land. He’s given away about four miles an hour in velocity over the last two years. His command totally deserted him last year. He has a million innings on his arm and last season, when he was clearly not right, they piled on 211 more. Enjoy the memories, but that guy isn’t coming back.

15. haytammy - Feb 13, 2014 at 3:59 AM

Cocaine is a hell of a drug… -Rick James

16. flyinhighwithvick - Feb 13, 2014 at 8:20 AM

Shocking. He and Strahan must share dentists.

• cackalackyank - Feb 13, 2014 at 6:23 PM

The Gap toothed are actually a famous lot. In addition to CC and Strahan, add Madonna and David Letterman to the list. I am no dental student but I can’t help thinking it either can’t fixed or they don’t want it fixed, because I’m pretty sure all four of them could easily afford the best Dentist on the planet.

17. ez4u2sa - Feb 13, 2014 at 8:38 AM

Sabathia’s best days are behind him. Yanks better hope Tanaka is for real,

18. sdelmonte - Feb 13, 2014 at 9:19 AM

Wondering if he can keep it off. Mets fans remember how every spring Sid Fernandez would report to camp in BSOHL condition, and then slowly put it back on during the season. Never mind that keeping it off is never easy for anyone.

But if he can do it for just one season, it could pay off big time.

19. jcmeyer10 - Feb 13, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Worked for Lackey…

20. jfk69 - Feb 13, 2014 at 11:49 AM

Is that Sabbathia with Strahan? He has shrunk as well. Must be gravity

21. aceshigh11 - Feb 13, 2014 at 12:31 PM

A lot of people talk about his girth being the key to his power…I don’t know enough about the physical mechanics of pitching to say one or the other (although it makes some sense), but he’s getting older, so being leaner and lighter is simply a better life option.

He’s a great pitcher…he’ll figure out how to adjust.

22. eyesurcan26 - Feb 13, 2014 at 12:49 PM

If the velocity of his fastball drops off, he’d best hit the nearest GNC for some weight gainer!

23. yordo - Feb 13, 2014 at 12:58 PM

Must be legit. There’s never been a photoshopped pic posted to twitter.

24. eatitfanboy - Feb 13, 2014 at 2:09 PM

I don’t know whether I can back this up statistically, so I probably shouldn’t post it and risk attack, but it always seems to me that CC pitches his worst he is at his lightest. Now, I would never tell someone they shouldn’t live healthy, but if dramatic weight loss is effecting his pitching? Not sayin, just sayin.

25. bellerophon30 - Feb 15, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Good for CC, even if it never should have gotten that bad in the first place. Still, there’s a lot to be said for not resting on his laurels, and taking his responsibilities seriously.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5572)
  2. M. Kemp (3188)
  3. C. McGehee (2969)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2965)
  5. J. Upton (2916)