Bud Selig issues a statement about Derek Jeter’s retirement

Feb 12, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT

Image (1) jeterap2.jpg for post 3593

Matt Diaz didn’t get a statement from Bud. Derek Jeter does. I see how it is.

“In the 21-plus years in which I have served as Commissioner, Major League Baseball has had no finer ambassador than Derek Jeter.  Since his championship rookie season of 1996, Derek has represented all the best of the National Pastime on and off the field.  He is one of the most accomplished and memorable players of his – or any – era.

“Derek is the kind of person that generations have emulated proudly, and he remains an exemplary face of our sport.  Major League Baseball looks forward to celebrating his remarkable career throughout the 2014 season.”

1. halladaysbiceps - Feb 12, 2014 at 3:04 PM

I do not disagree with Darth Selig’s statement. Derek Jeter has been the epitome of what baseball is. My guess is he will win hands-down the “#FaceofMLB” voting.

• ireportyoudecide - Feb 12, 2014 at 3:23 PM

He is a great player, but honestly lets not pretend he’s an all time great. 0 MVP’s, a career WAR ranking right behind Jim Thome and Rafael Palmeiro and right above Adrian Beltre.

Beltre will more then likely pass him this year in WAR and will probably end up about 15 Wins higher when all is said and done, yet I doubt he will get a send off like we will be forced to watch this year.

• halladaysbiceps - Feb 12, 2014 at 3:32 PM

1. MVP awards are meaningless. I get told all the time by Sabermetric people that Gold Gloves are meaningless, so I will assume this logic applies accordingly to the MVP award.

2. His WAR is insignificant. Jeter’s offensive stats speak for themselves: 312, 256 HRs, 1261 RBIs, 525 Doubles, 65 Triples and 348 Stolen bases.

• jerseyshoregiant - Feb 12, 2014 at 3:44 PM

If Jeter is injury free this year he will probably move into the Top 5 all time in hits. If he decided to play a couple more he would surely be 3rd on the list. That sounds like one of the All Time great hitters to me.

• ireportyoudecide - Feb 12, 2014 at 3:50 PM

” His WAR is insignificant”

And then you quote his numbers to show how great he is? You can’t ignore the fact that he was a below to just bad defender for most of his career. He was a very good hitter, I think he should be in the hall of fame, when you factor in defense he’s about the same player as Alan Trammel and Adrian Beltre just quit pretending he’s Barry Bonds or Willie Mays.

• halladaysbiceps - Feb 12, 2014 at 3:58 PM

@ireportyoudecide

I saw Jeter play his entire career and can tell you that defensively he was a great SS. I saw the man defend his position well and make great plays. Jeter was no hack at SS.

• twainsyankee - Feb 12, 2014 at 4:14 PM

WAR is insignificant because defensive metrics stink. Its so bad that you should not compare positions yet you are comparing him to two firstbasemen and a thirdbasemen. besides Jeter is 10th in career WAR among SS and the only two above him not in the HOF are AROD and some guy who retired in 1911

• halladaysbiceps - Feb 12, 2014 at 4:24 PM

@twainsyankee

Thanks. You put it better than I could. Anyone calling Jeter a “below to just bad defender for most of his career” is crazy.

• alang3131982 - Feb 12, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Jeter was a great defensive SS? According to your eyes? Do you have any evidence to back that up or just silly sentiment?

• halladaysbiceps - Feb 12, 2014 at 4:56 PM

@alang3131982,

You are a worthless douchebag that trolls me. I made my comments on Jeter and I stand by them. He was the best SS of his generation. Now, go away.

• ireportyoudecide - Feb 12, 2014 at 10:31 PM

According to defensive runs saved he cost his team more runs than any player in the history of the game.

1. Derek Jeter: -236 runs
        2. Gary Sheffield: -196 runs
        3. Adam Dunn: -165 runs
        4. Michael Young: -154 runs
        5. Bernie Williams: -139 runs
        6. Manny Ramirez: -129 runs
        7. Bobby Bonilla: -121 runs
        8. Danny Tartabull: -120 runs
        9. Ricky Gutierrez: -117 runs
        10. Chris Gomez: -114 runs

2. rcali - Feb 12, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Very nice note by the Commish. I wonder if maybe he has a gift bag or two from Jeter?

3. zzalapski - Feb 12, 2014 at 3:18 PM

If you substitute Jeter’s name with Matt Diaz’s, you can get a sense of what Bizarro World is like.

4. jaturso - Feb 12, 2014 at 3:20 PM

I get the feeling that this is the latest in Bud’s series of F-you’s to A-Rod. He could have said, “Alex, I could have been saying this stuff about you. But you’re an egomaniacal douche.” Or, maybe I’m just catching Craig’s “all A-Rod, all the time” virus…

5. doctorfootball - Feb 12, 2014 at 3:22 PM

A class act to the end. Hope his last season will statistically be one of his best

6. tcostant - Feb 12, 2014 at 4:12 PM

When will Bud make a statement on a MASN?

7. Youknowimright - Feb 12, 2014 at 4:19 PM

To the haters I say you would love to have Derek Jeter on your team. He was great and did it the right way. A champion and true delegate for the game.

• halladaysbiceps - Feb 12, 2014 at 4:29 PM

I just had a thought: 1. Ruth, 2. Gehrig, 3. Mantle, 4. DiMaggio, 5. Jeter? What do you think? Do I have it wrong?

• Youknowimright - Feb 12, 2014 at 6:18 PM

I don’t know and who cares ? Philly fans care about mvps and all star game appearances and lists because they have so few rings in any sports. I do know that jeter has more rings than your entire franchise. He is a great player , who is clean in a dirty era of baseball, and has won the most championships in his generation. That is what’s impressive not ranks or mvp awards.

8. Old Gator - Feb 12, 2014 at 5:10 PM

It is going to be very strange to wake up in April 2015 and have no games to watch with Derek Jeter playing in them. I could give a rat’s cloaca about the Hall of Fame – it’s a sick joke governed by favoritism, politics and the most specious kind of innuendo by now anyway. What matters is that Jeter will always be remembered as one of the greatest Yankees and, in baseball, that’s tantamount to being remembered as one of the greatest ballplayers, period.

9. drewsylvania - Feb 12, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Who gives a **** what you think, Bud?

10. bigharold - Feb 12, 2014 at 6:26 PM

Derek Jeter is one of the best to play SS ever, .. period.

One can quibble about his range but he has great hands and a strong accurate arm. Offensively, he hit for average, with good power for a SS, ran the bases well and rarely made mental errors. About the only thing he did do well was hit HRs but on the other hand,.. think about it, .. how many big HRs did he have, .. like his 3000th hit? He played his entire a career in the white hot spotlight of the NY media and didn’t wilt or fold up. No messy episodes in his personal life and not a single “TMZ” moment. From the Jeffery Mayer HR, (which we all know wasn’t really), to the flip play in against the A’s, to the dive into the stands, .. landing face first in a truly magnificent baseball game, .. to Mr. November, and on he has had a career littered with big moments, .. and seemingly he always rose to the challenge.

I will miss Jeter, .. other Yankee fans will miss Jeter, even fans of other team will miss Jeter and MLB will miss Jeter too. All those of you that insist on taking shots at him, .. at least make it funny lest you appear to be a jackass. Because, if you don’t understand the what Derek Jeter has accomplished in baseball than you clearly don’t know a thing about baseball.

11. tn16 - Feb 12, 2014 at 7:23 PM

Oh Captain my Captain,
    This is Back to back years that the MLB and the Yankees are losing some of the best players in MLB history.

12. happytwinsfan - Feb 12, 2014 at 8:10 PM

i’ve been trying for 20 years to find something to dislike about him and every time i thought i found something it turned out to be some form of envy. exasperating. if he had played for cleveland it would be a lot easier take.

13. wahoo21 - Feb 12, 2014 at 11:05 PM

Its pretty clear that ireortyoudecide has never played an inning of baseball in his life if he thinks that some stat is what determines the quality of a player like Derek Jeter and what he has meant to the Yankees and baseball as a whole.
    He will be a first ballot HOF and that is the only stat I would be concerned with….what percentage of the vote he gets.

Great Career by a classy guy

14. sportsfan18 - Feb 13, 2014 at 12:20 AM

Jeter to Bud. Thanks Commish…

Bud swaying and waiting… finally Jeter says “yes Commish?”

Bud to Jeter. Aren’t you going to make a statement about how I’m the BEST commissioner ever? Or at least that you ever played for?

Jeter to Bud (after he finishes laughing), Uh Budster, you’re the ONLY Commish I ever played for. And no Bub (Jeter intentionally calls him Bub instead of Bud), you’re not the best Commish ever. You held the doors wide open and greased the way in for PED’s in our sport.

Bub (I mean Bud) to Jeter. But I made a lot of money, er the game made a lot of money while I was Commish.

Jeter to Bub. You’re welcome.

Bud to Jeter. Welcome for what?

Jeter to Bub. We made you your money. You’re worth $400 million Bub. Your salary a few years ago was $18 million for one year, that was as MUCH as the commissioners of the NFL, the NBA and Hockey COMBINED. The NFL has much more revenue that we do and not only did you make more than Roger Goodell Bub, you made as much as old Rog and Stern and the Hockey dude, whoever the hell he is.

But I am gonna send you a gift basket Bud!

Bud to Jeter. Really? Goody, goody, goody…

Can Nationals run the playoff table?
  1. D. Jeter (3390)