Feb 12, 2014, 9:24 AM EDT
Here’s a nice, somewhat sad story from the Philly Inquirer. It’s about Charlie Manuel’s friendship and support of Olympian Katie Uhlaender, who competes on the U.S. skeleton team. Manuel was a minor league teammate and lifelong friend of her father — former Indians coach Ted Uhlaender — who died of cancer in 2009.
Uhlaender has suffered multiple injuries in the past few years and is not a favorite at Sochi (skeleton competition begins tomorrow), but she is a favorite of Manuel’s.
(Thanks to ‘Cepts for the heads up)
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 4
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 58
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 83
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 90
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 19
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)