Derek Jeter to retire after the 2014 season

Feb 12, 2014, 2:23 PM EDT

New York Yankees Derek Jeter hits single against the Oakland Athletics in New York

Simultaneously surprising and not surprising: Derek Jeter has announced that 2014 will be his last season.

Surprising because it’s going to be hard to imagine baseball without Derek Jeter’s presence. His injuries last season aside, the New York Yankees shortstop has been baseball’s constant for nearly 20 years.  Not surprising because he turns 40 in June and that’s a couple of years beyond even the greatest, longest-lived and most durable shortstops in the game.  He sounds like he’ll be ready for the upcoming season, but there cannot be too much more gas left in the tank.

As it stands entering his final year, Jeter has five World Series rings, five gold gloves and 3,316 hits and a career line of .312/.381/.446. He punched his first-ballot ticket to the Hall of Fame years ago. Now he’s playing for the right to go out healthy, on his own terms and, if things break right for the Yankees, a winner.

Prepare for six months of “Let’s win one more for the Captain.” And a lot of retirement gifts.

Here is Jeter’s announcement, as posted on his Facebook page:

source:

118 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. thomasgarvey - Feb 12, 2014 at 3:15 PM

I want to thank Jeter for being, and remaining, the example of a committed baseball player that I pointed my son to back when he was a boy in t-ball. How many athletes today can you draw your son’s attention to that you don’t worry you will one day have to explain his grievous character flaws or self-serving attitude?
    Long after my son put away his glove, we still sit down together every time a Yankees game is shown in our area, and watch this guy put it all out there, year after year, game after game.
    Thanks, Derek, from a dad.

• jeterstinksandsodoyou - Feb 12, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Get a grip.

What are you…12?

• larrymahnken - Feb 12, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Don’t worry, you’ll be 12 in a couple of years.

• evanpenn - Feb 13, 2014 at 2:26 AM

@ jeterstinks. There are trolls who prowl these message boards but you are not one of them. You are a slithery worm who lives at the bottom of a well…a well which is located directly beneath the bridge under which the trolls live. You look up from your dark, miserable hole, to catch glimpses of the trolls who live in relative sunlight, comparatively…but I digress.

2. rcali - Feb 12, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Boy did Jeets let the Yankees of the hook. They would have kept paying him until he was 50 otherwise. Let the farewell tour begin. Over/Under on teams thinking the rocking chair gift is still fresh.

3. gerryb323 - Feb 12, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Last game? September 28. In Boston!

• evanpenn - Feb 12, 2014 at 11:04 PM

Jeter will get a LONG standing O from the Sox fans, and it will be a great moment. As a Red Sox fan, I am surprised to find myself a bit upset at this news. It won’t be the same…even for those of us with Red Sox blood flowing through our veins.

• 1historian - Feb 13, 2014 at 7:20 AM

Suggestion: When he comes to bat for the last time at the game in Boston, play the recorded announcement of the late New York announcer as he says “Now batting for the New York Yankees …..”

The only dry eyes in the place will belong to the lizards

I heard that guy once at a Yankees game in 1953 and I’ve never forgotten it

4. sportsguygerald - Feb 12, 2014 at 3:18 PM

I’m not a Yankee fan, but Jeter played the game the way it is supposed to be played. Hope he can make it thru this season healthy

• strictlythedanks - Feb 12, 2014 at 7:55 PM

poorly?

5. plmathfoto - Feb 12, 2014 at 3:23 PM

What a great player and class act.

I’m also happy for him because he timed this perfectly so he retires and gets out before ARod comes off suspension.

• jeterstinksandsodoyou - Feb 12, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Yes. Just Alex was using roids.

No one else.

Heaven forbid that Jeter would.

Come on man…get a grip.

• asimonetti88 - Feb 12, 2014 at 7:09 PM

Proof?

• onlyoneleft - Feb 12, 2014 at 5:18 PM

You are right, sir. I wish all Yankees were like him.

6. bgm9876 - Feb 12, 2014 at 3:24 PM

it will be sad to see him go. i have been a fan of him my hole life. i hope he’s a first ballot Hall Of Famer. i wish he could stay for the 2015 season also. we probably will all miss him.

• jeterstinksandsodoyou - Feb 12, 2014 at 4:56 PM

I will not miss him.

He will not be a first ballot.

Get a grip.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 12, 2014 at 7:15 PM

There’s zero chance Jeter isn’t first ballot. What’d he not give you a gift basket or something?

• evanpenn - Feb 13, 2014 at 7:39 PM

@jeterstinks: I will bet you your life savings he WILL be 1st ballot. I have some change in my pocket that should suffice if I lose the bet.

• bgm9876 - Feb 24, 2014 at 9:22 AM

then 2nd or 3rd?

7. voteforno6 - Feb 12, 2014 at 3:36 PM

He’s still playing?

• jeterstinksandsodoyou - Feb 12, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Exactly

8. yahmule - Feb 12, 2014 at 3:40 PM

What an amazing career. Also amazing that such a great player could also be so polarizing. Largely overrated by most casual fans and scrutinized to the point of being underrated by some hard core fans.

9. cackalackyank - Feb 12, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Truly a class act and first ballot HOF. So many great memories are tied to this guys career. It’ s promising to know one of his goals is to focus on philanthropic work, among other things. I just hope this is Jeter reading the handwriting on the wall and knowing it is time like the statement says, and not Jeter realizing he won’t be healthy this year either.

10. yankeesfanlen - Feb 12, 2014 at 3:53 PM

Amazing=Beep-Gimpy-Beep! More farewell tours than Cher and Sinatra combined
    I propose turning the entire right field wall at Yankee Stadium. to the Derek Jeter Monument Park

11. mgmac - Feb 12, 2014 at 3:55 PM

If Jeter is a HOF candidate, which he is of course, Craig Biggio should be in the HOF. Biggio had 3000+ hits and has more doubles, home runs, stolen bases, base on balls, and a higher OPS. Biggio has one less gold glove. Biggio should be in the HOF

• kimbrktty - Feb 12, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Yeah, But, Biggio and Bagwell are bunched together,,, And People unfairly associate Biggio with the PED that Hangs over Bagwell. Biggio should have been elected already, but the writers, they wanna play Police. Jeter , even surrounded by all of the Players the yankees have had who used, has never had even any suspicion. I dont Think Jeets or Biggio Used, and Both should be in.

• jeterstinksandsodoyou - Feb 12, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Yeah, but they both stink.

Get a grip.

• asimonetti88 - Feb 12, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Biggio and Jeter are not mutually exclusive candidates for the HOF. Both should be in though.

• jkay1818 - Feb 12, 2014 at 8:02 PM

right, and jeter has played less games than biggio and Jeter has less at bats. has more runs, a lot more hits, more triples, more rbi’s, his batting average is thirty points higher which is a ton, jeter has a hgher OBP, jeter has a hgher OBP, Higher slugging, jeter has a much higher OPS, so i dont know where you got that from, jeter has more total bases,

Jeter also has 5 more world series rings, two world series MVP’s, has the most doubles, triples,runs and hits all time in the postseason as well

I see your point though…

Also, how is that “get a grip” guy not blocked from posting? this is a teenager or adult who is that big of a loser that he created that name and just decides to keep commenting. How can someone be this pathetic?

• raysfan1 - Feb 12, 2014 at 8:40 PM

He’s just another immature troll who hopes to get a rise out of people by acting like a classless prick. Like all trolls, he likes negative comments and down-thumbs. The best thing to do with trolls is to ignore them. Let him “get a grip” with nobody caring what he thinks.

12. jm91rs - Feb 12, 2014 at 3:59 PM

I very much disliked the Yankees growing up, but I never could quite find a problem with Jeter. Great player and a solid guy who somehow mastered the media in a time when no one seems to be able to figure it out. Much respect. I’d imagine there are very few people that could walk around New York as such a revered figure.

• jeterstinksandsodoyou - Feb 12, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Give me a call. I have numerous problems with him.

Get a grip.

13. loungefly74 - Feb 12, 2014 at 4:01 PM

farewell to one of the greatest to play the game…and i don’t need a freakin’ WAR stat to tell me that.

• jeterstinksandsodoyou - Feb 12, 2014 at 4:59 PM

“greatest to play the game”

Here come the crazies….

Get a grip.

• loungefly74 - Feb 12, 2014 at 7:35 PM

call me crazy then. Jeter is the most important Yankee in the past 20 years.

14. serbingood - Feb 12, 2014 at 4:09 PM

As a kid I got to see Mickey Mantle play in his last two years, away games at Washington.
    As an adult I got to see Derek Jeter play in his first full year, also an away game vs. Angels.
    My question is, who is the next lifetime Yankee that one should see at the beginning of their career and end as well? Derek may be the last great lifetime Yankee now that the business side has overtaken the sports side.

For all the great World Series moments you gave us, the incredible game in which you got your 3,000th hit, and for a career that by all rights only Hollywood should be able to create, you will be not only honored, but missed as well.

Thanks for the memories, and some great baseball too.

• larrytsg - Feb 12, 2014 at 6:22 PM

I dunno, people all say “there will never be another lifetime one team player, not like the old days”, but we’ve seen in the past few years the retirement of a bunch of 1 team longtime players….. Biggio, Bagwell, Mariano Rivera, Chipper Jones, Veritek, and now Jeter.
      Hmm… maybe you ARE right. Looking at Espn’s “Lifers” list, only Jimmy Rollins and Chase Utley are at the 10+ year mark with the same (only) Major League team.

Some of them are greedy, some wear out their welcome, some are always seeing the grass as greener, and some guys are just plain unlucky (traded early in their career like Tim Wakefield or released like David Ortiz).

• asimonetti88 - Feb 12, 2014 at 7:16 PM

As an Angels fan, I certainly hope we can put Mike Trout on that list some day. Health and salary permitting of course.

• 18thstreet - Feb 12, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Pedroia’s probably spending his whole career in Boston. Lester might, depending what happens with his next contract. Ryan Zimmerman is likely to spend his whole career in Washington. Verlander in Detroit. Mauer in Minnesota. Ryan Howard in Phildelphia, in addition to Utley. Votto in Cincy. Longoria in Tampa (unless the franchise moves). David Wright in Queens. I’m willing to bet that at least half of the players I just named play their entire career with one franchise.

There’s always guys like this. I don’t know why we always hear that so-and-so is the last of a breed.

15. 24thesho - Feb 12, 2014 at 4:18 PM

I find the haters comments really amazing. Unless, some crazy PED issue pops up all of a sudden (which I highly doubt), this man was extremely low key, more than well mannered, was a great player who also came through when it counted in the postseason more often than A-Rod ever did. He had no domestic violence, PED(so far), nor any insane sex scandals; no off the field incidents or issues, at least any major ones, if any; no “primadonna” outbursts. He hit and caught the ball, ran around and stole bases and won 5 World Series and stayed with the same team his whole career. I think the haters are upset with the fact that this “black man” did not give them anything to really hate about other than they hate the Yankees, which is a fair because it’s sports. He was a first rate player for most of his career and seems to be a first rate person as far as the public has seen. He deserves the respect from all of the haters. He’s a classy dude. I hope he gets into and has a great World Series and wins it, and, hits the game winning home run in a game 7 at the bottom of the 9th inning, period.

• jeterstinksandsodoyou - Feb 12, 2014 at 5:05 PM

He deserves nothing.

Stop trying to bring race into it. Has nothing to do with it.

I have zero respect for him.

Go back to your mom’s basement and fire up WOW.

Get a grip.

• 18thstreet - Feb 12, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Craig? Can you ditch this obvious troll?

16. ez4u2sa - Feb 12, 2014 at 4:49 PM

This assuming he makes it through the 2014 season. Seriously, Jeter’s announcement really is no surprise. Yanks ought to after Drew ASAP.

• 18thstreet - Feb 12, 2014 at 8:09 PM

Seems like they should have signed him a while ago to play third or second. I don’t get it.

17. jeterstinksandsodoyou - Feb 12, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Good riddance. You may a mockery of baseball and my 12 year old self would be happy to see you gone.

(You see….I’m not a kid so I don’t care about baseball anymore.)

• Youknowimright - Feb 12, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Obviously you don’t care about baseball. You are on a baseball blog wrting with a baseball themed handle and hating on a player who you have an agenda with in the world of baseball. Yep , you don’t care anymore. Do you go into news based blogs with an ihatebillclinton handle and rip on democrats and then say you can care less about politcs , as well ? Get a grip buddy.

18. shadowshand - Feb 12, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Your user name says it all. I’m not a Yankees fan, not even a Jeter fan, but he’s the real deal. Call up and see if your mom will let your out of the basement.

19. Fantasy Football Consultant - Feb 12, 2014 at 5:30 PM

Only drove in a 100 runs once

• bingtron - Feb 12, 2014 at 7:09 PM

he’s a shortstop his job is to get on base not hit homeruns

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 12, 2014 at 7:16 PM

Rickey Henderson never did it…

• cackalackyank - Feb 12, 2014 at 7:17 PM

Spent most of his career batting leadoff. Duh.

• sportsfan18 - Feb 12, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Yep, only drove in a hundred runs once and with about 60 RBI’s this season, he’ll finish in the top 100 for most RBI’s in a career.

You DO realize of course for ANYONE to get an RBI, SOMEONE must be driven in right?

Right now Jeter is in 13th place all time for runs scored and most likely when he retires he’ll be in 9th place.

Guess he HELPED many guys get RBI’s…

How many players finish within the TOP ten in runs scored and in the TOP 100 for RBI’s?

• 18thstreet - Feb 12, 2014 at 8:10 PM

Good point. Neither did Tom Seaver, so you make a very good point.

20. thomas844 - Feb 12, 2014 at 6:00 PM

I am not a Yankees fan, but I hope they win the World Series in 2014 just for his sake. If they don’t, however, I can see them winning championships under Jeter’s leadership in the future when he almost inevitably becomes their manager one day.

21. johnnycantread - Feb 12, 2014 at 6:12 PM

I know some delusional Yankee fans who claim that Jeter is the best ever Yankee.
    Sorry, guys… There are a lot of Yankee greats ahead of him on the “best ever” list, and he’s not gonna catch them.

• cackalackyank - Feb 12, 2014 at 7:18 PM

Best, probably not. One of the best, obviously.

• sportsfan18 - Feb 12, 2014 at 7:53 PM

Of course not. Ruth and Gehrig top the list. After that it gets interesting though. Jeter is WAY up there.

Jeter has NOTHING to be ashamed of in his career…

• evanpenn - Feb 13, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Ruth, Gehrig, Dimaggio, Mantle, Yogi, Whitey Ford, Mo. Tough list to crack, but I’d say he’s in the top 5 or 6. Top 10 for sure.

22. buffalo65 - Feb 12, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Just wish he went out like Gretzky who let it out the day before the end of the season. Like both Moe and Rivera but this need to be patted on the back and given gifts in a farewell tour is lame and self centred. Keep it quiet, play the year and walk away.

• dizzydave29 - Feb 12, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Jeter Drinks winecoolers

23. therealgrande - Feb 13, 2014 at 12:09 AM

I’m sad. 21 years old and Derek Jeter is the last of the core 4 too step down. This is basically ending all of my childhood, now that Uncle Phil passed, Mo retired and now Derek soon to follow.

In regards to baseball, he’s 10th all time in hits and completely able to reach 6th. 199+ he can reach 5th, although that’s likely not happening. Derek’s leaving means time for a new era. Not sure if Nuney is the long-term answer so what’s next? Don’t leave me DJ.

24. wahoo21 - Feb 13, 2014 at 2:15 AM

Its pretty clear that “ireortyoudecide” has never played an inning of baseball in his life if he thinks that some stat is what determines the quality of a player like Derek Jeter and what he has meant to the Yankees and baseball as a whole.
    He will be a first ballot HOF and the only stat I would be concerned with is….what percentage of the vote he gets.

Great Career by a classy guy

25. boomshakalakaboomm - Feb 13, 2014 at 2:47 PM

I HATE the Yankees. Tried really hard to hate Jeter too, but just couldn’t get it done. Hard to hate a guy you respect so much. Truly the face of baseball. As a Twins fan (again, TRYING) who has many Octobers ruined because of this guy, thanks for the memories, and thanks for setting an example for everyone in baseball to follow.

Yanks, Cards and Reds hit with injury bug