Derek Jeter to retire after the 2014 season

Feb 12, 2014, 2:23 PM EST

New York Yankees Derek Jeter hits single against the Oakland Athletics in New York

Simultaneously surprising and not surprising: Derek Jeter has announced that 2014 will be his last season.

Surprising because it’s going to be hard to imagine baseball without Derek Jeter’s presence. His injuries last season aside, the New York Yankees shortstop has been baseball’s constant for nearly 20 years.  Not surprising because he turns 40 in June and that’s a couple of years beyond even the greatest, longest-lived and most durable shortstops in the game.  He sounds like he’ll be ready for the upcoming season, but there cannot be too much more gas left in the tank.

As it stands entering his final year, Jeter has five World Series rings, five gold gloves and 3,316 hits and a career line of .312/.381/.446. He punched his first-ballot ticket to the Hall of Fame years ago. Now he’s playing for the right to go out healthy, on his own terms and, if things break right for the Yankees, a winner.

Prepare for six months of “Let’s win one more for the Captain.” And a lot of retirement gifts.

Here is Jeter’s announcement, as posted on his Facebook page:

source:

118 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. philliesblow - Feb 12, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Hope he can be healthy this season. He deserves it.

• maikoch - Feb 12, 2014 at 3:05 PM

Really? The man has collected hundreds of millions of dollars to play baseball, has won five World Series, and has been honored and admired by millions of people. In short, he’s already had more than his fair share of good fortune. I’m certainly not wishing him ill, but does he really DESERVE even more good fortune?

• brianincbus - Feb 12, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Glad to see you trying to corner the “jerk” market. The guy is retiring after a long career, can’t you put your jealousy aside for a minute and wish him well?

• maikoch - Feb 12, 2014 at 3:16 PM

So, you believe he deserves to have a good season. He’s entitled to it. Why would that be?

And why am I a jerk if I find that sentiment to be a little over the top? It has nothing to do with disliking Derek Jeter, and everything to do with disliking ridiculous over-the-top fanboy rhetoric.

• yahmule - Feb 12, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Hoping a guy has a healthy season equates to ridiculous over-the-top fanboy rhetoric. Got it.

• sportsdrenched - Feb 12, 2014 at 3:51 PM

I don’t care what you’re retiring from. If you spend 20 years with the same company, you deserve to have your last go round be special and memorable.

• jeterstinksandsodoyou - Feb 12, 2014 at 5:02 PM

I like you…

Check out “brianincbus”….HEY THE JERK STORE CALLED. THEY ARE OUT OF YOU!

Sheesh…

2. uyf1950 - Feb 12, 2014 at 2:27 PM

Not surprised in the least that 2014 will be his last year. He’s had a great career but better to leave on your terms then on someone else’s.

3. southofheaven81 - Feb 12, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Hope it’s closer to 2012 than 2013, but either way I’m glad to get one more season watching him. He’s my all-time favorite player.

4. halladaysbiceps - Feb 12, 2014 at 2:30 PM

Derek Jeter lifetime: .312, 256 HRs, 1261 RBIs, 525 Doubles, 65 Triples and 348 Stolen bases.

Jeter was the greatest offensive SS of his generation. Period.

• clydeserra - Feb 12, 2014 at 2:44 PM

only because he refused to let a superior defensive shortstop play the position in 2004(?).

• halladaysbiceps - Feb 12, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Alex Rodriguez couldn’t tie Jeter’s shoes on his best day defensively at SS.

• lazlosother - Feb 12, 2014 at 3:09 PM

So you know that he “refused to let” A-Rod play shortstop? How do you know this? I was under the impression that Derrick was a player, and Torre, Cashman and NY’s front office made those decisions.

• cohnjusack - Feb 12, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Alex Rodriguez couldn’t tie Jeter’s shoes on his best day defensively at SS

By basically any metric you choose, A-Rod was far better defensively that Jeter.

• cur'68 - Feb 12, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Yep. He was pretty damn good with a bat. Gonna miss the Old Smoothie. He could wrangle a reporter like a fat kid wrangles cake.

• bbk1000 - Feb 12, 2014 at 3:45 PM

“Gonna miss the Old Smoothie”

Is that some sort of prison term?

• cur'68 - Feb 12, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Interesting life experiences ya got there, Homes…

5. ghostsintheeyes - Feb 12, 2014 at 2:30 PM

Surely “Win one for the skipper” works just as well in terms of real life, but even better in terms of references/puns?

• chacochicken - Feb 12, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Got that one all wrong, its “spin one for the smoked kipper”.

6. billybawl - Feb 12, 2014 at 2:33 PM

He left out the part about not wanting to share his farewell tour with Alex Rodriguez.

7. Liam - Feb 12, 2014 at 2:36 PM

The 1996 Yankees were the team who inspired me to bug my parents to sign me up for tee ball and Derek was the guy who inspired me to insist I play shortstop and wear #2 growing up. I wouldn’t be the kind of hopelessly obsessive loser who spends all day reading baseball blogs without him. Thanks, I guess.

8. The Dangerous Mabry - Feb 12, 2014 at 2:36 PM

The only problem is that during the entire baseball season, the lead story on Sportscenter will be “Jet-irement 2014″. I think it’s great when guys get to go out on their own terms, and he’s certainly had the great career, but it seems a shame when a retiring player is the focus of the news all season long.

• zzalapski - Feb 12, 2014 at 3:06 PM

ESPN has shame? Ha ha ha ha ha

• 18thstreet - Feb 12, 2014 at 4:38 PM

My advice? Don’t watch ESPN.

Problem solved.

9. tysonpunchinguterus - Feb 12, 2014 at 2:37 PM

I’m going to miss watching him play. His effort was a great example for younger players. He was the team’s rock. I’m glad he announced this before the season so fans will have the opportunity to realize beforehand that they’re witnessing his goodbye and appreciate their last chance to see him play. I hope he gets to go out on a high note like Mo and Andy did last year – only with a World Series ring to cap off another great season,

10. jimmyt - Feb 12, 2014 at 2:37 PM

I don’t know if he has run out of gas but I’m pretty sure he has run out of juice.

11. pmbryant - Feb 12, 2014 at 2:39 PM

This is Jeter’s way of saying he’s 95% cooked.If he gets his way, he goes out as the starting SS and doesn’t have being a bench plyer at the end of his career tarnish his legacy. The template Jeter has used for his career has never been Ruth, Gehrig or Mantle. It has always been DiMaggio.

• billybawl - Feb 12, 2014 at 2:43 PM

I think he also has about 12 million reasons to play in 2014, starter or bench player. He might have only 1.5 million reasons if he wanted to play again in 2015.

• sportsfan18 - Feb 12, 2014 at 8:02 PM

He doesn’t need any of those reasons. He’ll have earned OVER a quarter of a billion dollars after this season.

Then he has made millions over the past almost two decades from endorsements. I don’t want to take the time to look up some of what he’s earned via endorsements on the web, but combined he’s well OVER $300 million that he’s earned and I bet it’s around $400 million.

He’s going to continue earning money from the game via endorsements too.

Yes, even $12 million to him isn’t chump change, but it is NOT going to affect any decision he makes for the rest of his life. What he has to eat, where he vacations etc…

• detectivejimmymcnulty - Feb 12, 2014 at 2:47 PM

The only thing that could tarnish Jeter’s legacy is a PED scandal. He’s done too much good to have one season as a bench player tarnish what he’s done for 19 seasons before.

• pmbryant - Feb 12, 2014 at 3:03 PM

That’s according to YOUR standards. Jeter’s standards he sets for himself are probably elevated, and being a bench player would be unthinkable to Jeter, as it would have been to DiMaggio.

• detectivejimmymcnulty - Feb 12, 2014 at 3:05 PM

I thought you meant his legacy according to the fans and not himself. My mistake. According to his standards you are probably right on the money.

12. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Feb 12, 2014 at 2:40 PM

Let’s top it all off with a parade, Cap’n.

• bigharold - Feb 12, 2014 at 5:11 PM

The Yankees will have an uphill battle to get in the playoffs this year. But, considering the insane number of sports fairytale type moments during his career it’s not out of the question nor would I be a bit surprised.

13. historiophiliac - Feb 12, 2014 at 2:41 PM

If I were less generous, I would say that the Captain was waiting to see how the A-Rod thing shook out so he could make sure his final season was A-Rod-free.

• uyf1950 - Feb 12, 2014 at 2:44 PM

I’m absolutely sure that had nothing to do with it. What i’m pretty sure was the case is Jeter and Hal had a handshake agreement when the Yankees gave him that bump in his salary this year was with the understanding that it would be Jeter’s last year.

14. umrguy42 - Feb 12, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Sorry to borrow it, but this comment on the Deadspin article on this is so snarkily good I had to share: “The Twins plan to give him a chair made out of the balls he didn’t get to in the hole.”

• zzalapski - Feb 12, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Given Jeter’s career line against the Twins (.323/.388/.470), he can return the favor with a gift basket of baseballs that they didn’t catch off his at-bats.

• maikoch - Feb 12, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Gonna be a big chair.

15. uyf1950 - Feb 12, 2014 at 2:42 PM

Not to bring up the money aspect of this announcement but it should mean a bump in attendance and the sale of all things Jeter at Yankees Stadium with fans wanting to get a last glimpse of Jeter before he hangs up his cleats for good.

16. cruuuzcontrol - Feb 12, 2014 at 2:44 PM

Ugh. This is going to be agonizing. And not in a good way. These farewell tours are lame and the Yankee fans slobbering over Jeter will make it borderline unbearable.

• billybawl - Feb 12, 2014 at 3:20 PM

I have a feeling farewell tours for superstars are going to be a new norm, like God Bless America. In a few years, we’ll be here debating whether Albert Pujols deserves a farewell tour. In a few more years, we can debate whether he should be a unanimous first ballot HOFer.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 12, 2014 at 4:01 PM

The farewell tour for Mo was more about him as a person than as a ball player. When Mo spent time with the common workers at each stadium, it’s because he wanted to thank them for all they’ve done and show how appreciate Mo was for them. You won’t see Jeter doing that.

17. atepper001 - Feb 12, 2014 at 2:45 PM

i am not really a jeter fan and hate the yankees like most people outside of NY. But, i will say he was a freaking clutch machine that no one ever wanted to face with the game on the line and what an awe inspiring leader who gave it 100%. my lasting memory will be his undisputed greatest backhanding stab into the grass and accurate, strong throw to first. i loved watching those plays he made look routine.

• bankboy2012 - Feb 13, 2014 at 1:04 AM

For the love of sanity can we please move the report comment button further away from the reply button?

All I wanted to do was reply to this and I ended up reporting this comment.

Sorry atepper001.

18. garylanglais - Feb 12, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Who has done these “farewell/retirement tours?” I can think of Mo and Chipper and now Bud and Jeter for this year. I know there’s others. Little help…

19. gladestiger - Feb 12, 2014 at 2:49 PM

I’m on the long list of Yankee haters, but Jeter always had my respect for playing the game as it should be. Here’s hoping he’s able to finish the season healthy.

20. ctony1216 - Feb 12, 2014 at 2:51 PM

I want to give the dude a man hug. What are the odds that he homers on his last swing in the bottom of the ninth to win Game 7 of the World Series? Put me down for $10 on that.

21. sdelmonte - Feb 12, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Great. Another (well deserved) farewell tour.

Maybe he and Bud can do it together. Since that is the only way Bud would get any applause.

I predicted this news just three days ago, so I feel all smug. I’d feel smugger if I had told more than one person.

22. rbj1 - Feb 12, 2014 at 2:54 PM

He’ll get a whole lot of lovely parting gift baskets.

• billybawl - Feb 12, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Some opposing team could really have fun with a gift basket. It’d probably have to be a private matter though.

• atepper001 - Feb 13, 2014 at 12:50 PM

if you are referring to the baskets he would give his “lady friends” as reported a few months ago, well done rbj1.

23. largebill - Feb 12, 2014 at 3:00 PM

I have a long and well developed hatred of the Yankees, but not gonna hate Jeter as he heads out the door. However, I reserve the right to express disgust at how the Yankees and the media choose to say goodbye.

24. rji528 - Feb 12, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Always a class act!

25. Caught Looking - Feb 12, 2014 at 3:05 PM

Jeter’s given away so many gift bags he’s looking for his on the way to retirement this season.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5056)