Feb 12, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
Ubaldo Jimenez remains unsigned and the draft pick compensation attached to his free agency has definitely hurt the right-hander’s market value, but don’t expect a return to the Indians.
Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer writes that “it would take something extreme” for the Indians to re-sign Jimenez and “there has been no communication” between the two sides since last month.
Obviously a huge drop in asking price would qualify as “something extreme,” but the Indians are banking on getting a valuable draft pick for Jimenez’s departure and there’s been little indication at any point that they made a serious effort to re-sign him.
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 0
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 5
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 15
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15