Feb 12, 2014, 11:19 AM EST
Dusty Baker tried to land a managing gig for this season after being fired by the Reds, but the Nationals and several other teams weren’t interested and now the three-time Manager of the Year is sitting at home in California instead of going to spring training.
Baker talked to Mark Sheldon of MLB.com about what he’s been up to:
Hey, life goes on. I’m spending time with my son. It’s been nice watching him play basketball and now he’s getting ready for baseball. I’ve had eight months worth of honey-dos to make up. I’m trying not to think about baseball. It still hurts some. You find other avenues for the time. It’s still the offseason for me. I have no problems staying busy. If I have nothing, I make up something to do. My wife says I have eight part-time jobs. But none of them are paying, yet.
I like to imagine Baker walking around the house, tinkering with stuff from that honey-do list as his trademark toothpick dangles from his mouth. And it seems likely that he’ll be a popular midseason replacement candidate for any manager of contending teams that get off to rough starts.
- Zack Greinke hasn’t made decision about opt-out 5
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 19
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 42
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 103
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (105)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)