Feb 12, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
Dusty Baker tried to land a managing gig for this season after being fired by the Reds, but the Nationals and several other teams weren’t interested and now the three-time Manager of the Year is sitting at home in California instead of going to spring training.
Baker talked to Mark Sheldon of MLB.com about what he’s been up to:
Hey, life goes on. I’m spending time with my son. It’s been nice watching him play basketball and now he’s getting ready for baseball. I’ve had eight months worth of honey-dos to make up. I’m trying not to think about baseball. It still hurts some. You find other avenues for the time. It’s still the offseason for me. I have no problems staying busy. If I have nothing, I make up something to do. My wife says I have eight part-time jobs. But none of them are paying, yet.
I like to imagine Baker walking around the house, tinkering with stuff from that honey-do list as his trademark toothpick dangles from his mouth. And it seems likely that he’ll be a popular midseason replacement candidate for any manager of contending teams that get off to rough starts.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 38
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 42
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 57
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)