Feb 12, 2014, 11:19 AM EST
Dusty Baker tried to land a managing gig for this season after being fired by the Reds, but the Nationals and several other teams weren’t interested and now the three-time Manager of the Year is sitting at home in California instead of going to spring training.
Baker talked to Mark Sheldon of MLB.com about what he’s been up to:
Hey, life goes on. I’m spending time with my son. It’s been nice watching him play basketball and now he’s getting ready for baseball. I’ve had eight months worth of honey-dos to make up. I’m trying not to think about baseball. It still hurts some. You find other avenues for the time. It’s still the offseason for me. I have no problems staying busy. If I have nothing, I make up something to do. My wife says I have eight part-time jobs. But none of them are paying, yet.
I like to imagine Baker walking around the house, tinkering with stuff from that honey-do list as his trademark toothpick dangles from his mouth. And it seems likely that he’ll be a popular midseason replacement candidate for any manager of contending teams that get off to rough starts.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (226)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)