Feb 12, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
Dusty Baker tried to land a managing gig for this season after being fired by the Reds, but the Nationals and several other teams weren’t interested and now the three-time Manager of the Year is sitting at home in California instead of going to spring training.
Baker talked to Mark Sheldon of MLB.com about what he’s been up to:
Hey, life goes on. I’m spending time with my son. It’s been nice watching him play basketball and now he’s getting ready for baseball. I’ve had eight months worth of honey-dos to make up. I’m trying not to think about baseball. It still hurts some. You find other avenues for the time. It’s still the offseason for me. I have no problems staying busy. If I have nothing, I make up something to do. My wife says I have eight part-time jobs. But none of them are paying, yet.
I like to imagine Baker walking around the house, tinkering with stuff from that honey-do list as his trademark toothpick dangles from his mouth. And it seems likely that he’ll be a popular midseason replacement candidate for any manager of contending teams that get off to rough starts.
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 19
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 19
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)