Giancarlo Stanton would be open to an extension with the Marlins

Feb 12, 2014, 9:50 AM EST

Giancarlo Stanton AP AP

Everyone assumes that the Marlins will trade Giancarlo Stanton before he walks as a free agent because the Marlins don’t appear to want to pay for anyone. But don’t be too sure. Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reports that The Iron Giant may be open to an extension. If the Marlins improve:

“In order for the team to have security, that doesn’t happen in two seconds,” said Stanton. “That happens over a season or over two seasons. You show me that, and we can get something going.”

The Marlins should be better this year. They always have had a habit of springing back into contention after everyone has written them off post-fire sale. But given that Stanton is under team control through 2016, there is still a lot of time for the story to change two or three times, rendering those certainties about him being dealt moot.

1. Old Gator - Feb 12, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Why do I get the strange feeling that Craigster made sure to see what was spawning above the ‘Glades before choosing his lure?

Da hell wif it, it’s been a slow morning. Okay, I’ll bite.

Joe Frisaro is just the team shill, with pretenses of working for “independently” for MLB.Com. Stanton (a) has two years to kill and he wants to go home to California. and (b) he’ll never be Derek Jeter in the Teflon sound byte department, but since his outburst following the Toronto Massacre he has definitely learned how to say the right thing. Read his words carefully. He’s about as non-committal as a teenage Irish bachelor.

He also has two years ahead of his walk orfseason to live up to his potential which, as impressive as his mock-heroic media doppelganger might be, is far from realized.

• historiophiliac - Feb 12, 2014 at 10:11 AM

I hope you’re right because my first inclination is to fear that I’m watching a virgin being plucked by an ODB — and I fear he is more Komrovsky’s Lara than Gaston’s Gigi.

• Old Gator - Feb 12, 2014 at 11:02 AM

Well, Gigi….no, I won’t go there, you’ll eat me alive.

How about that poor Anne Darrow they tied up for Kong?

• historiophiliac - Feb 12, 2014 at 11:13 AM

While that would work for Stanton, I cannot see Loria as a misunderstood beast.

• Old Gator - Feb 12, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Have you ever looked at the cage floor under a monkey’s trapeeze? Now, just imagine that that’s Macondo under Scrooge McLoria’s penthouse.

• historiophiliac - Feb 12, 2014 at 11:32 AM

I was thinking aviary. Monkeys are too cuddly.

2. stex52 - Feb 12, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Giancarlo is smart enough to realize that there is plenty of time to burn bridges later. Right now he will keep his options open. He works for a scumbag, but the scumbag may still end up making him rich.

• Old Gator - Feb 12, 2014 at 11:00 AM

He knows all too well what he works for.

• sportsfan18 - Feb 12, 2014 at 4:04 PM

You’re right, he’d be rich.

But Scrooge McLoria would not and will not make him as rich as some other G,M./owner who mistakenly believes he’s the piece that will put them over the top.

And he knows that Loria will NOT pay to keep a team together, even if they win it all.

He should go jack balls onto Waveland and Sheffield Ave’s in Chicago…

3. jm91rs - Feb 12, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Sorry to Marlins fans, but I always hate to see talented players stuck in awful situations so I’m hoping they trade him in a few years. Same goes for Fernandez. I wish the worst for Loria, so I hope these guys are dealt or walk.

4. nymets4ever - Feb 12, 2014 at 10:11 AM

The way Stanton talks about his contract situation, it’s like he has nothing left to prove and the Marlins have everything to prove. This coming from a guy who can’t stay healthy.

• Old Gator - Feb 12, 2014 at 10:59 AM

For the nonce I’ll leave the hatchet on the dirtpile next to the hole and agree with you. However, if you look at his stats, health notwithstanding, the Iron Giant still has a lot to prove about whether he’s able to develop into a consistent hitter and can the “swing hard in case you hit it” mentality that characterized so many of his at-bats last season. It would be nice if he could finally discipline himself to stop chasing those low and away pitches, too.

• Old Gator - Feb 12, 2014 at 11:22 AM

PS – it’s also possible that he dislikes his employers enough that he’s trying to piss them off with his attitude in hopes that they’ll be more willing to move him. We’re a few days ahead of spring training and he’s twisting a little screwdriver into the wound. The timing is interesting, no matter what you think his gambit might be.

5. bobulated - Feb 12, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Here’s the translation,”If the Marlins offer me a boat load of guaranteed cash for a ridiculous length of time, I will have to consider it because, hey, my inanely cheap owner might will wake up one morning and want to trade unload me to a big market contender for pennies on the dollar. I will still have said boat load of cash coming to me and maybe a little sugar for “accepting” a trade. Even if I don’t get traded, I’m a ridiculously rich 20-something living in South Beach. You do the math.”

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. G. Stanton (4044)