Feb 13, 2014, 1:46 PM EST
Franklin Gutierrez re-signed with the Mariners in mid-December and said he was “feeling good” after dealing with an assortment of health issues during the past three seasons, but the team announced that he now plans to sit out the entire season.
Ryan Divish of the Seattle Times reports that the center fielder has been placed on the restricted list after symptoms related to his gastrointestinal problems returned, writing: “Gutierrez didn’t feel it was fair to the Mariners to come to spring training in his condition and has decided to focus on his health.”
It’s yet another tough break in a long line of tough breaks for Gutierrez, who once looked capable of developing into one of the best all-around center fielders in the league by combining solid hitting with exceptional defense. Unfortunately that was 2009 and he’s hit just .243 with a .652 OPS since then while missing 243 of a possible 324 games during the past two years.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)