Feb 13, 2014, 1:46 PM EDT
Franklin Gutierrez re-signed with the Mariners in mid-December and said he was “feeling good” after dealing with an assortment of health issues during the past three seasons, but the team announced that he now plans to sit out the entire season.
Ryan Divish of the Seattle Times reports that the center fielder has been placed on the restricted list after symptoms related to his gastrointestinal problems returned, writing: “Gutierrez didn’t feel it was fair to the Mariners to come to spring training in his condition and has decided to focus on his health.”
It’s yet another tough break in a long line of tough breaks for Gutierrez, who once looked capable of developing into one of the best all-around center fielders in the league by combining solid hitting with exceptional defense. Unfortunately that was 2009 and he’s hit just .243 with a .652 OPS since then while missing 243 of a possible 324 games during the past two years.
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 75
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 26
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 21
- Kris Medlen expects to have another Tommy John surgery 13
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (98)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)