Feb 13, 2014, 7:51 PM EDT
We learned this morning that former major league player and manager Jim Fregosi suffered a stroke last weekend during a Major League Baseball alumni cruise and now Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times reports that he has been taken off life support in a Miami hospital.
This is a clarification of an earlier report from DiGiovanna, as he was told by Dennis Gilbert that Fregosi had passed away. However, that information was premature. I posted the news of the initial report here at HardballTalk and I sincerely apologize for the error.
Keep fighting, Jim.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (102)