Jim Fregosi reportedly taken off life support

Feb 13, 2014, 7:51 PM EDT

Portrait of California Angels' Jim Fregosi

We learned this morning that former major league player and manager Jim Fregosi suffered a stroke last weekend during a Major League Baseball alumni cruise and now Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times reports that he has been taken off life support in a Miami hospital.

This is a clarification of an earlier report from DiGiovanna, as he was told by Dennis Gilbert that Fregosi had passed away. However, that information was premature. I posted the news of the initial report here at HardballTalk and I sincerely apologize for the error.

Keep fighting, Jim.

1. RonKarate - Feb 13, 2014 at 7:52 PM

He was my first baseball hero.

• tuberippin - Feb 14, 2014 at 4:44 AM

People forget how talented he was. Ernie Banks once said he thought Fregosi would eventually have a .400 season. Al Kaline called him the best shortstop in baseball when he was in his early 20s.

Wonder how things would’ve gone had he been a Dodger rather than an Angel, or had he stuck with Boston instead of going in the expansion draft.

2. halladaysbiceps - Feb 13, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Jim Fergosi’s death was inaccurately reported by Philly simpleton Howard Eskin, jackoff of sportsradio here in Philly. According to Howard’s tweet:

“Former Manager Jim Fregosi dies at 71. Had suffered a massive stroke while on a cruise is last 36 hours.”

28 minutes later: “Former manager Jim Fregosi has been taken off support, but has not died. Info I got was pre mature and I apologize. He hangs on but very bad”

This is the problem with journalism in the 21st century. What I find SO hilarious is Howard Eskin constantly talks/criticizes about national journalists that report stuff before knowing the facts.

Geez, Howard, you think you misreported?

• cur'68 - Feb 13, 2014 at 8:09 PM

Thanks. Removal of life support doesn’t necessarily mean death. I hope he makes it. He managed my boys in 1999 & 2000. I even remember him as the Phillies skipper from 1993. He always struck me as a good guy.

Hang in there, Mr. Fregosi

• halladaysbiceps - Feb 13, 2014 at 8:16 PM

To be honest, I didn’t like Fregosi as a manager. I have to be honest. Didn’t like many of his managerial moves, but that’s besides the point. This man’s life is the most important thing and this jackoff, Howard Eskin, pronounced the guy dead according to his “info”. What the hell is that? Is the man dead or not and how can a media personality/reporter of 30 years in Philly get that wrong? LOL! It’s a joke!

• chinahand11 - Feb 13, 2014 at 10:21 PM

Good lord I read the article reporting that Mr. Fregosi had died. Not looking good, Howard.
      Anyhow, yeah, it happened to someone close to me. The MDs gave him 2 days to live and took him off life support, and that was well over a year ago. He walks with a cane but so what? He walks. I mean we had Hospice chasing us around the hospital and everyone was bummed and it was a mess. I apologize for rambling but the point is you have to be very careful when you declare someone is deceased and write a mini-obit.

3. nymets4ever - Feb 13, 2014 at 8:03 PM

Just another reason to hate Philadelphia

• toodrunktotastethischicken - Feb 13, 2014 at 8:17 PM

A guys life is on the line and you find a reason to bash a city? Stay classy dude.

• nymets4ever - Feb 13, 2014 at 8:22 PM

“Classy” is paying zero attention to facts about a man’s status as a living or dead person just to win some petty race to be the first to report a story.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Feb 13, 2014 at 8:38 PM

well, since you seem so hell bent on assigning city blame, then blame the source. A LA Times Reporter. People in many places have since parroted the incorrect LA Times story.

Stay classy

• historiophiliac - Feb 13, 2014 at 9:34 PM

He’d have to get classy first.

• tfbuckfutter - Feb 13, 2014 at 9:54 PM

You know who I could do without?

Wyoming.

Like seriously….DO SOMETHING. You’re just THERE. Just do something! Anything! Even if you fail. It’s better than just being there existing but not contributing.

Or….were we just bashing cities? Because if that’s the case then up your’s Wilmington, Delaware.

Oh, also Canada.

Quit putting mayo on your fries. You weirdos.

• historiophiliac - Feb 13, 2014 at 11:25 PM

Also, Gary, Indiana. You stink. Don’t even get me started on the Fighting Farmers of Lewisville, Texas either — a bunch of landlubbing Popeye wannabes.

• tuberippin - Feb 14, 2014 at 4:37 AM

Having been to Wyoming, I can say that there are some fine places. If I could land a job in Jackson Hole, I’d be there in a heartbeat. Fine town.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Feb 14, 2014 at 8:55 AM

Could follow if that was an arbitrary association or a poke at me – but in either case, I live in Newark, DE :)

But yea, you nailed the fries thing

• jwbiii - Feb 13, 2014 at 10:19 PM

Please tell us when you you love has a debilitating physical condition. That way we will know when to tell you New York sucks. Fregosi, of course, played for the Mets, so you’re already there, ум говна.

• tfbuckfutter - Feb 13, 2014 at 10:47 PM

You can tell him New York sucks now. You don’t have to wait for a particular occasion.

It sucks always.

4. bbk1000 - Feb 14, 2014 at 7:03 AM

Hey D.J…you are quick to censor posts you deem unacceptable….you should start with yourself…

Hang in there Jim.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3623)