Feb 13, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
Press release from MLB on the officiating front. The league announced today that seven umpires have been named to the full-time Major League Umpiring staff. In addition, as another part of this season’s expansion of instant replay, the Office of the Commissioner has appointed Justin Klemm as Director of Instant Replay.
Klemm, a former minor league umpire and minor league umpire administrator, will report to Peter Woodfork, MLB’s Senior Vice President, Baseball Operations. Which I assume means Joe Torre will be relieved of even more uncomfortable press conferences when things go screwy. Klemm will be based at the headquarters of MLB Advanced Media, which will serve as the Replay Command Center.
Here is the rundown of the seven new umps, all of whom have had callups as replacement/fill-in umps in the past. And one of whom served as Nick Carroway’s love interest in “The Great Gatsby”:
- Jordan Baker – Baker, 32, has been an umpire in the Minor Leagues since the 2005 season. In 2013, he worked in the Triple-A Pacific Coast League. Baker worked his first game in the Majors on June 24, 2012 and overall, he has been a part of 199 regular season Major League games.
- Lance Barrett – Barrett, 29, has been a Minor League umpire since 2003. He is now the youngest full-time Major League Umpire. In 2013, he worked in the Triple-A Pacific Coast League. Barrett debuted in the Majors on October 1, 2010 and he has worked 237 big-league games.
- Cory Blaser – Blaser, 32, has been an umpire in the Minor Leagues since the 2002 season. In 2013, he worked in the Triple-A Pacific Coast League. Blaser made his Major League debut on April 24, 2010 and he has worked 346 Major League games.
- Mike Estabrook – Estabrook, 37, has umpired professionally since 1999. In 2013, he was on the staff of the Triple-A International League. Estabrook’s first Major League game was on May 7, 2006, and he has been assigned to 698 Major League games.
- Mike Muchlinski – Muchlinski, 36, has been a Minor League umpire since 1999. In 2013, he worked in the Triple-A Pacific Coast League. Muchlinski made his Major League debut on April 24, 2006, and he has worked 569 Major League games.
- David Rackley – Rackley, 32, has been an umpire in the Minor Leagues since the 2001 season. In 2013, he was on the staff of the Triple-A International League. Rackley had his first Major League game on August 13, 2010, and he has been on the field for 165 Major League games overall.
- D.J. Reyburn – Reyburn, 37, has umpired in the Minors since 2000. In 2013, he worked in the Triple-A Pacific Coast League. He has worked 440 Major League games since his debut on June 10, 2008.
All hail our new replay overlords. All hail our new human elements.
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 26
- Breaking: The Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 89
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 63
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 76
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 76
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)