Feb 13, 2014, 6:31 PM EDT
Who will man shortstop for the Yankees next year after Derek Jeter retires? Well, here’s one possibility.
FOX Sports’ Jon Morosi reports that the Yankees were among the teams in attendance today to watch a showcase for Cuban shortstop Aledmys Diaz in Arizona. The Cardinals, Blue Jays, Mariners, Padres, and Giants were also on hand.
Diaz, 23, hit .315/.404/.500 with 12 home runs and 11 stolen bases in 313 plate appearances at-bats during his last season in Cuba from 2011-2012. There are questions about his defense, so his future might actually be at second base.
Diaz was originally expected to sign with a team last offseason, but he was suspended for a year for falsifying his age in an effort to get around MLB’s international spending cap and land a bigger contract. He’ll be eligible to sign next week, so we could see something come together pretty soon.
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 15
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 12
- The Lester trade is a win-win 101
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 159
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 91
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (160)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (121)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)