Feb 13, 2014, 9:49 PM EST
Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said that the inflammation apparently arose after Puig “overthrew” on the first day of camp. It’s believed to be the same issue that he played through last season.
“We don’t think it’s serious, but we need to find out,” Mattingly said, calling Puig’s reduced throwing “precautionary.”
Puig took batting practice today and even played catch under the supervision of a team trainer, so it doesn’t sound like a major concern, but the Dodgers will take it easy with him in the early days of camp.
Puig, 23, hit .319/.391/.534 with 19 home runs and 42 RBI over 104 games as a rookie last season.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)