Feb 13, 2014, 9:49 PM EDT
Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said that the inflammation apparently arose after Puig “overthrew” on the first day of camp. It’s believed to be the same issue that he played through last season.
“We don’t think it’s serious, but we need to find out,” Mattingly said, calling Puig’s reduced throwing “precautionary.”
Puig took batting practice today and even played catch under the supervision of a team trainer, so it doesn’t sound like a major concern, but the Dodgers will take it easy with him in the early days of camp.
Puig, 23, hit .319/.391/.534 with 19 home runs and 42 RBI over 104 games as a rookie last season.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (85)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (76)