Feb 13, 2014, 9:49 PM EDT
Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said that the inflammation apparently arose after Puig “overthrew” on the first day of camp. It’s believed to be the same issue that he played through last season.
“We don’t think it’s serious, but we need to find out,” Mattingly said, calling Puig’s reduced throwing “precautionary.”
Puig took batting practice today and even played catch under the supervision of a team trainer, so it doesn’t sound like a major concern, but the Dodgers will take it easy with him in the early days of camp.
Puig, 23, hit .319/.391/.534 with 19 home runs and 42 RBI over 104 games as a rookie last season.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 4
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 5
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 8
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 54
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)