Feb 13, 2014, 9:49 PM EDT
Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said that the inflammation apparently arose after Puig “overthrew” on the first day of camp. It’s believed to be the same issue that he played through last season.
“We don’t think it’s serious, but we need to find out,” Mattingly said, calling Puig’s reduced throwing “precautionary.”
Puig took batting practice today and even played catch under the supervision of a team trainer, so it doesn’t sound like a major concern, but the Dodgers will take it easy with him in the early days of camp.
Puig, 23, hit .319/.391/.534 with 19 home runs and 42 RBI over 104 games as a rookie last season.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)