Feb 13, 2014, 9:49 PM EDT
Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said that the inflammation apparently arose after Puig “overthrew” on the first day of camp. It’s believed to be the same issue that he played through last season.
“We don’t think it’s serious, but we need to find out,” Mattingly said, calling Puig’s reduced throwing “precautionary.”
Puig took batting practice today and even played catch under the supervision of a team trainer, so it doesn’t sound like a major concern, but the Dodgers will take it easy with him in the early days of camp.
Puig, 23, hit .319/.391/.534 with 19 home runs and 42 RBI over 104 games as a rookie last season.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 3
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 1
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 13
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)