Feb 14, 2014, 10:40 AM EST
Julio Teheran and the Braves have agreed to a six-year contract extension with a team option for 2020.
Atlanta is locking up Teheran after just one full season, but it was a very impressive one as he threw 186 innings with a 3.20 ERA and 170/45 K/BB ratio as a 22-year-old. Teheran also has the track record to match, ranking among Baseball America‘s top-50 prospects in four straight seasons, including top-five rankings in 2011 and 2012.
He’s the real deal and now the Braves have him under team control through age 29, buying out all of Teheran’s arbitration-eligible seasons and as many as two of his free agency years.
UPDATE: Teheran is guaranteed $32.4 million in the deal.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)