Feb 14, 2014, 8:33 AM EST
Yesterday Deadspin wrote a piece making light of sportswriters mourning Derek Jeter‘s retirement announcement. The conceit was that these guys were writing as if Jeter had died. One of the jokes was “you can expect a column shortly on how the Hall of Fame ought to invoke the Roberto Clemente precedent so that he can be elected next winter.”
Not quite, but we’re close! Here’s Dan Pietrafesa of the Poughkeepsie Journal, advocating for a Hall of Fame rules change:
This is a plea to the Baseball Writers’ Association of America to bend the rules. It’s been done before, so do it again.
Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera deserve to be inducted together into the National Baseball Hall of Fame in 2019.
It’s the right thing to do.
And it gets better:
So why not bend the rules? It’s been done before and for Yankee greats. Lou Gehrig — the only player on a special ballot — was elected in a special vote at the 1939 Winter Meetings because it was uncertain how much longer Gehrig would live with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis — now also known as Lou Gehrig’s Disease.
Because it’s exactly the same sort of situation.
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 1
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 21
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)