Feb 14, 2014, 8:33 AM EDT
Yesterday Deadspin wrote a piece making light of sportswriters mourning Derek Jeter‘s retirement announcement. The conceit was that these guys were writing as if Jeter had died. One of the jokes was “you can expect a column shortly on how the Hall of Fame ought to invoke the Roberto Clemente precedent so that he can be elected next winter.”
Not quite, but we’re close! Here’s Dan Pietrafesa of the Poughkeepsie Journal, advocating for a Hall of Fame rules change:
This is a plea to the Baseball Writers’ Association of America to bend the rules. It’s been done before, so do it again.
Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera deserve to be inducted together into the National Baseball Hall of Fame in 2019.
It’s the right thing to do.
And it gets better:
So why not bend the rules? It’s been done before and for Yankee greats. Lou Gehrig — the only player on a special ballot — was elected in a special vote at the 1939 Winter Meetings because it was uncertain how much longer Gehrig would live with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis — now also known as Lou Gehrig’s Disease.
Because it’s exactly the same sort of situation.
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 1
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 27
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 20
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 28
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (103)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)