Feb 14, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Mike Trout started the 2013 season hitting second in the Angels’ lineup, but moved to the #3 spot when Albert Pujols went on the disabled list in late July. He produced similarly in both spots, posting a 1.015 in 405 plate appearances in the two-hole, and a .963 OPS in 223 PA batting third.
With Pujols reportedly feeling fine, Trout is likely to move back to second in the order, reports Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register.
Some, citing Trout’s otherworldly .432 on-base percentage, have suggested the AL’s back-to-back runner-up MVP should lead off, but manager Mike Scioscia isn’t a fan of the idea.
“I don’t think we’re going to rule out anything with Mike, but if he’s hitting first, there’s no doubt you need a hitter behind him who’s going to give him the protection he needs, to where it’s not as routine (to walk him) as you saw last year,” Scioscia said.
Scioscia said Kole Calhoun could be one candidate to take over the lead-off spot. The Angels toyed with their lineup a lot over the course of the 2013 season, leading off with J.B. Shuck 64 times, Erick Aybar 46 times, the now-departed Peter Bourjos 20 times; as well as Trout 18, Calhoun six, Collin Cowgill five, and Alberto Callaspo three times.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)