Feb 14, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Mike Trout started the 2013 season hitting second in the Angels’ lineup, but moved to the #3 spot when Albert Pujols went on the disabled list in late July. He produced similarly in both spots, posting a 1.015 in 405 plate appearances in the two-hole, and a .963 OPS in 223 PA batting third.
With Pujols reportedly feeling fine, Trout is likely to move back to second in the order, reports Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register.
Some, citing Trout’s otherworldly .432 on-base percentage, have suggested the AL’s back-to-back runner-up MVP should lead off, but manager Mike Scioscia isn’t a fan of the idea.
“I don’t think we’re going to rule out anything with Mike, but if he’s hitting first, there’s no doubt you need a hitter behind him who’s going to give him the protection he needs, to where it’s not as routine (to walk him) as you saw last year,” Scioscia said.
Scioscia said Kole Calhoun could be one candidate to take over the lead-off spot. The Angels toyed with their lineup a lot over the course of the 2013 season, leading off with J.B. Shuck 64 times, Erick Aybar 46 times, the now-departed Peter Bourjos 20 times; as well as Trout 18, Calhoun six, Collin Cowgill five, and Alberto Callaspo three times.
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 1
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 78
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 10
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 19
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)