Feb 15, 2014, 8:10 PM EDT
David Price‘s name has been and will continue to be thrown around in trade rumors as the lefty $14 million in 2014 and is eligible for arbitration for one more year before hitting free agency. The small market Rays are expected to eventually trade Price as they have done in the past with Matt Garza and James Shields.
The trade could have happened this off-season, but Price thinks that the Masahiro Tanaka bidding slowed down the market as teams waited for the Japanese star to pick a team. Tanaka eventually signed with the Yankees on January 22 on a seven-year, $155 million deal. From ESPN’s Jayson Stark:
“I felt like this offseason, everything just kind of fell in my corner, for me to stay with the Rays,” Price said Saturday, on the first day of his seventh spring training as a Ray. “With Tanaka not being able to sign until the 24th [of January] and stuff like that, it seemed like teams waited for that market to fall. You know, if he had signed during the winter meetings or something, it might have been a little bit different. That would have given teams a lot more time to figure out what they wanted to do.
“So I thought that after Tanaka signed, that next seven or eight days were pretty big. After that, I got to breathe a little bit. And today is a big day as well. Once I got to spring training, I felt like I would kind of be here.”
The Indians, Giants, Dodgers, Mariners, and Rangers were among the teams interested when rumors were rampant earlier this off-season.
- Video: Jake Arrieta strikes out Chase Utley to complete his no-hitter 3
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 19
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 9
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)