Feb 15, 2014, 8:10 PM EDT
David Price‘s name has been and will continue to be thrown around in trade rumors as the lefty $14 million in 2014 and is eligible for arbitration for one more year before hitting free agency. The small market Rays are expected to eventually trade Price as they have done in the past with Matt Garza and James Shields.
The trade could have happened this off-season, but Price thinks that the Masahiro Tanaka bidding slowed down the market as teams waited for the Japanese star to pick a team. Tanaka eventually signed with the Yankees on January 22 on a seven-year, $155 million deal. From ESPN’s Jayson Stark:
“I felt like this offseason, everything just kind of fell in my corner, for me to stay with the Rays,” Price said Saturday, on the first day of his seventh spring training as a Ray. “With Tanaka not being able to sign until the 24th [of January] and stuff like that, it seemed like teams waited for that market to fall. You know, if he had signed during the winter meetings or something, it might have been a little bit different. That would have given teams a lot more time to figure out what they wanted to do.
“So I thought that after Tanaka signed, that next seven or eight days were pretty big. After that, I got to breathe a little bit. And today is a big day as well. Once I got to spring training, I felt like I would kind of be here.”
The Indians, Giants, Dodgers, Mariners, and Rangers were among the teams interested when rumors were rampant earlier this off-season.
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 17
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 29
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 58
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 73
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 86
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)