Feb 15, 2014, 8:10 PM EDT
David Price‘s name has been and will continue to be thrown around in trade rumors as the lefty $14 million in 2014 and is eligible for arbitration for one more year before hitting free agency. The small market Rays are expected to eventually trade Price as they have done in the past with Matt Garza and James Shields.
The trade could have happened this off-season, but Price thinks that the Masahiro Tanaka bidding slowed down the market as teams waited for the Japanese star to pick a team. Tanaka eventually signed with the Yankees on January 22 on a seven-year, $155 million deal. From ESPN’s Jayson Stark:
“I felt like this offseason, everything just kind of fell in my corner, for me to stay with the Rays,” Price said Saturday, on the first day of his seventh spring training as a Ray. “With Tanaka not being able to sign until the 24th [of January] and stuff like that, it seemed like teams waited for that market to fall. You know, if he had signed during the winter meetings or something, it might have been a little bit different. That would have given teams a lot more time to figure out what they wanted to do.
“So I thought that after Tanaka signed, that next seven or eight days were pretty big. After that, I got to breathe a little bit. And today is a big day as well. Once I got to spring training, I felt like I would kind of be here.”
The Indians, Giants, Dodgers, Mariners, and Rangers were among the teams interested when rumors were rampant earlier this off-season.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)