Feb 15, 2014, 11:31 AM EST
The Red Sox haven’t officially closed the door on Drew, but Alex Speier of WEEI.com hears that it would likely be limited to a one-year deal or one-year deal with a player option which could help the team for luxury tax purposes. Otherwise, top prospect Xander Bogaerts will take over at shortstop.
If Drew wants a guaranteed multi-year contract, he’ll likely have to get it elsewhere, but it’s tough to see where he gets it at the moment. The Mets continue to downplay the chances of a match while the Yankees reportedly aren’t interested despite an obvious need for depth.
Drew, who turns 31 in March, hit .253/.333/.443 with 13 home runs and 67 RBI in 124 games for the World Series champions last year while playing excellent defense at shortstop. He declined a one-year, $14.1 million qualifying offer from Boston in order to test free agency, so he is attached to draft pick compensation.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 21
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 28
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 71
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (125)