Feb 15, 2014, 6:30 PM EST
Angels pitcher Mark Mulder cannot catch a break. He repeatedly dealt with issues in his left shoulder, undergoing surgery multiple times before calling it quits in 2008. After a five-year layoff, Mulder felt well enough to attempt to revive his Major League career. He was confident and motivated, and the Angels were impressed by what they saw early on.
Unfortunately, Mulder has more adversity to deal with. Mike DiGiovanna of the L.A. Times reports that he ruptured his Achilles tendon while doing agility drills prior to a bullpen session. The injury is very serious and ends his comeback attempt with the Angels. You can’t help but feel sorry for the guy.
Update: Mulder tweeted about his injury.
I can handle this. But seeing my son in tears when he saw me in a boot and crutches and I told him I wasn’t going to pitch. That was tough.
— Mark Mulder (@markmulder20) February 15, 2014
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 65
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 120
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 79
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- So Curt Schilling spent his evening arguing against the theory of evolution (165)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)