Feb 15, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Angels pitcher Mark Mulder cannot catch a break. He repeatedly dealt with issues in his left shoulder, undergoing surgery multiple times before calling it quits in 2008. After a five-year layoff, Mulder felt well enough to attempt to revive his Major League career. He was confident and motivated, and the Angels were impressed by what they saw early on.
Unfortunately, Mulder has more adversity to deal with. Mike DiGiovanna of the L.A. Times reports that he ruptured his Achilles tendon while doing agility drills prior to a bullpen session. The injury is very serious and ends his comeback attempt with the Angels. You can’t help but feel sorry for the guy.
Update: Mulder tweeted about his injury.
I can handle this. But seeing my son in tears when he saw me in a boot and crutches and I told him I wasn’t going to pitch. That was tough.
— Mark Mulder (@markmulder20) February 15, 2014
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)