Feb 15, 2014, 6:30 PM EST
Angels pitcher Mark Mulder cannot catch a break. He repeatedly dealt with issues in his left shoulder, undergoing surgery multiple times before calling it quits in 2008. After a five-year layoff, Mulder felt well enough to attempt to revive his Major League career. He was confident and motivated, and the Angels were impressed by what they saw early on.
Unfortunately, Mulder has more adversity to deal with. Mike DiGiovanna of the L.A. Times reports that he ruptured his Achilles tendon while doing agility drills prior to a bullpen session. The injury is very serious and ends his comeback attempt with the Angels. You can’t help but feel sorry for the guy.
Update: Mulder tweeted about his injury.
I can handle this. But seeing my son in tears when he saw me in a boot and crutches and I told him I wasn’t going to pitch. That was tough.
— Mark Mulder (@markmulder20) February 15, 2014
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 7
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 295
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)